Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Backup/Reverse Lights

Default Backup/Reverse Lights

I have a '72 van, imported from Texas, (NO RUST!) here in UK. Just replaced the rear light units and all connections are "as they were". Not sure if the reversing lights were working prior to refit (suspect not) but they are not working now! On closer inspection I find a "switch" on the gearbox with two bayonet connections. One is wired to earth and the other goes into the engine compartment where it was tucked away out of sight! I'm guessing that the "switch" sends a mesage to lights that reverse gear has been selected. My problem is where do I connect the other wire if indeed it is what I suspect. Not had the vehicle long and having great fun getting it all sorted but as I'm not that electrically wired myself maybe someone out there can steer me in the right direction?

Cheers,
    Mal W
    Last edited by JohnB; 04-11-2011 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Change title

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Hi Mal,

I do not have a wiring diagram for a 1972 bus. I did look on line and found a wiring diagram so will go with that for now. It shows power going from the fuse box to the reverse light switch on the gearbox. From here it goes to the rear of the vehicle and to the reverse lights. Then the lights are grounded(earthed) to complete the circuit.

If this circuit is correct then you should have 12v on one side of the bayonet connection at the gearbox switch. The other side of the switch should go to the rear lights. So, I would make sure that the one you have wired to 'earth' is not defective and being grounded by some defect. Then make sure that one side of the switch is connected to the fusebox (probably via the ignition switch).

Let us know what you find.

Gary

Hello Gary,

Thanks for your reply; I do indeed have 12v one side and the other side is the "hanging Judas" wire in the engine compartment. So, following your "lead" I have found yet another wire tucked away with a female bayonet connection on it. Happy to say that THIS was the final but of the jigsaw and I now have a COMPLETE set of lights! Apparently, the reverse light is not required as part of the Ministry of Transport yearly test (I am told) so could be why it was not wired in to the system. How appalingly lazy!! So cheers for the info and should I get any more teasers then I know where to come!

Many thanks,

Mal W

Hi,

the reverse lights on my 1986 westy don't work. Checked the bulbs and they are ok. Can anyone tell me quickly what are the main causes of reverse lights failure ?

backup light switch on transmission
    85 westy auto with tiico conversion