Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What do you sleep in a Westfalia: regular blankets and linen, or sleeping bags?

Default What do you sleep in a Westfalia: regular blankets and linen, or sleeping bags?

a dumb question from a Westfalia newbie:
    when going camping in your westfalia (we have a 1986 Westfalia Wolfsburg edition): do you just use sleeping bags, or do you take your bedblankets and linen on a trip?
    I would prefer sleeping bags, my wife regular bed stuff

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

We use feather duvets, pillows and always take extra blankets, they all fit into compression bags and we store them in the wardrobe. We like winter camping and being warm

We use regular bed linens that reside permanently in the van. Part of what we like about the Westy is that it's self contained and other than food there's no need to shuttle a bunch of stuff from the house to the van before a trip - just hop in it and go!

And there's no 2 ways about it, real covers are much more cozy and romantic than our beat up ol' mummy bags.

We put a flat sheet over the bed and always take sleeping bags. They are great as a blanket in the warmer months fully unzipped and can't be beat for warmth in the colder months. We never skimp on pillows. There is nothing like having a comfy pillow while camping.

What about padding the cushions, my sis-in-law keeps telling my wife the cushions are too hard from when she had a Westy in the 70's. It is firm, but I don't whether I want to carry memory foam, where will I stow it? For my first trip I used my mummy bag, and in WY at altitude, it was a good idea, I was pretty wrapped uo inside!

Long term I like the blanket and sheet options. Much more comfy!

I use a sleeping bag and lie on top with it open unless it's really chilly (however being a Yukoners my definition of chilly might be much colder than yours) with a fleece blanket overtop. I agree with the pillow hardness issue. This gives the best of both worlds regardless of the weather and you always have some cushioning underneath.

We are in our 70s and always use regular bed clothes dedicated to our Vanagon. When we bought our '91 I looked at the bed and thought 'oh my'. Someone suggested I fit a special bottom sheet and use queen sized upper sheets and blankets. We never fight for the covers!

Picked up a memory foam mattress topper (1.5") (full size) at WalMart for a little over $50. Trim the foam around the armrest, put the cover on with zipper on side without the cut, the excess just tucks under. We have sheets (queen) that the bottom and top sheet are sewn together, the excess Q over F just tuck under, toss in a coouple quilts and home free and warm. Mummy bag in reserve. Our nights here in the Yellowstone area have been low 40's high 30's.

I much prefer the sheets and quilts to a bag, but I mostly prefer warmth and extremely adaptable.

My family and I have always used sleeping bags, which are warmer than conventional bedding and more convenient to use and pack away.
    Nigel A. Skeet
    Technical Editor, Transporter Talk magazine
    Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club
    http://www.vwt2oc.com

Much modified & upgraded, British specification, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2, Westfalia Continental campervan, "Heinzwei"

Actually, a great question.

If it's just me, a guy, an old Coleman cotton sleeping bag I bought many, many years ago always feels good. (Not sure if you can buy them anymore.) Just roll it up and throw it in the back in the morning. Not a fan of the new plastic fibers. If it's another guy, heck who cares? But if there's a woman on board...who sleeps upstairs...humm. I usually just ask them and see what I can provide. Strange, but I seem I sleep better in my Westy than at home. Something really nice about getting comfy and curling up with a good book when you're out in the middle of nowhere.

It's not a problem to lay a sleeping bag out flat and leave it between the cushions in the upstairs bunk after the pop top has been dropped back down.