Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 84watercooled camper starting problems

Default 84watercooled camper starting problems

My camper will cold start fine and drive around or idle 20 minutes of more without problems and then if I shut it off it will not restart once the engine is hot. I have to wait a loooong time

It was flooding about a week or two ago when trying to start and unhooked the wire to the O2 sensor and seems fine though I do not know if these issues are related but can fix it if I know what is wrong but can't figure it out!!

Someone said change the little white square fuel filter I will do that but not sure if that is it.

I have checked the ignition switch(fine)
    battery (fine)
    starter (fine)

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Did you plug the O2 sensor back in or is it still unplugged? The most obvious place to start would be your temperature sensors but a full check of the FI system would be best. I would also suggest that you look at the general condition of your plugs, distributor cap, rotor, coil etc. Engines run rich (excess fuel) when cold so can be easier to start but when the engine warms up and leans out the mixture it may not run correctly or not start when shut off. Does the engine start if you depress the throttle? Does the temp gauge read correctly?

If your engine was 'flooding' with the O2 sensor connected then that would be the place to start. The O2 sensor does not start registering (therefor no effect on mixture correction) until it is hot so it is probably not the cause of your starting troubles. Voltage from the O2 should fluctuate above and below .5v. If the system is not fluctuating then that issue needs to be addressed before going any further.

Take some specific readings but remember if you are checking the temp sensors then their resistance will change with temp so the temp when the readings is very important. Let us know what they are and we can go from there. Go to trouble shooting in the Bentley page 24.38.

Yes I have since changed the tempII sensor and all is solved. New Problem is where to find the washer fluid pump to check since mine does not push fluid though the wipers work. and then fix the odometer stopped but the speedometer does work???
    Any suggestions?

Washer pump is located on bottle (Bentley page 92.4) accessible from under the front drivers side. Odometer failure is documented in forum.