Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Vanagon Newbie needs HELP!!1984 Vanagon

Default Vanagon Newbie needs HELP!!1984 Vanagon

Has anyone out there experienced a full electric works dash, interior lights, brake etc EXCEPT HEADLIGHTS and the bus will not start today.

Seems to have been just a little slow the last couple days turning over.

Otherwise my 84 Vanagon full camper is a dream. No grinding or clicking or any abnormal noise. Just had the battery checked and it is perfect. Now how to determine why it wont start? The starter is fine just does not fire so will proceed with checking the Neutral safety switch, well, it is NOT the neutral safety switch or the starter or the ignition switch or battery or fuel filter but it does stink of fuel when I crank it not even giving it any gas.

As I said before it ran and started fine and maybe 3-4 days before it was a little sluggish to start. Then on Thursday it just would not start at all and have done all of the above and check and fixed and cleaned up those areas, BUT I am still missing something since it wont start. When I pulled plugs from both sides they were damp from fuel also.I have spark since my Harley/Ford friend stopped by to tell me all he didn't know about VW which made us dumb and dumber.

I thought the fuel injection or oxygen sensor since it seems to say there is to much add more fuel and it seems to flood the engine enough to where I am not able to get spark (theory)

ANY IDEAS???????

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

I had the same problem. I bought an 83 1/2 water cooled vanagon about 4 months ago. It was great for the first 2 months but one day it wouldn't start in southern Utah about 50 miles from cell service. After towing it to one repair shop, it started fine. Another repair shop diagnosed the ignition distributor. They also explained that the oxygen sensors for the first few water cooled took a long time to heat up and suggested a heated oxygen sensor, which came out around '87. My idle was set high to compensate which meant it was a gas hog when warm but allowed it to run when cold. I replaced the ignition distributor but not the oxy sensor. It runs fine once it warms up but isn't great for the first few minutes of cold weather.

How did the plugs look when you pulled them? I had a problem with my battery going dead which resulted in a lot of jumpstarting. Then one day it wouldn't start - the engine turned over but no ignition, then it flooded really bad. Turns out my plugs had become so fouled during the "false starts" that they wouldn't spark. Replaced the plugs and BINGO, she fired right up.

(I also changed the oil as a precaution in case any gas got into it).