Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIN accessory power socket

'87 Westy w/a custom GoWesty 2.4 Waterboxer.

Capt. Mike, where did you pull the power for your accessory DIN socket, that's mounted in your bench seat box? And how safe is it to splice power from another line?

Thanks!
    -Jared

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

I tapped at what is called the "P1 -- plus (+) 30 terminal in wire distributor box in engine compartment" (Bentley 97.121)". It's shown in circuit #5 page 97.122. (Mine is a '90 but uses the '88-89 wiring schematic.)

This is a little black box located left side of engine compartment forward. This box looks a bit like the one housing the fuel-pump/FI double relays, but is further toward the front. Mine sits vertical near the front engine bay wall while the relay box sits horizontal to the side. Some circuits for the rear don't run all the way to the front and back -- they just tap directly -- and run through that box.

Note that this is a direct, unfused source so you need to add an inline fuse to the DIN socket, I chose a 10A ATO as it is the size of the front unit and I carry a spare ATO's anyway.

Tom Bishop at Auto Sport Gallery has recently placed an order for several Hella DIN accessory plugs (male). They should be in stock by October 1, 2009. A difficult part to get hold of, Hella US no longer stocks this part, they have to now come from Hella Germany.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12