Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Fuel tank, filler and evaporative emissions system

You've still got a leak. DO NOT drive until it's found & corrected or your daughters pride & joy may turn into a burned out hulk. When was the last time your fuel lines were replaced? 1972 to 2008 is a lot of years!

A common source of smells is a damaged or disconnected evaporative emmissions system. Another, the fill connection between filler pipe & tank.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 09-14-2008 at 06:14 PM.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Just wanted to thank Capt. Mike for the tip on replacing the charcoal filter to avoid the emploding gas tank on my 88 Westy. There are no new ones available, so replaced it with a used one from Go Westy. Not only did it stop the gas tank from sucking in, it increased my milage by 2 MPG over a 4000 mile trip. Great forum, thanks again.

Default Fuel Line "Sparks"

Had a real "DUH" moment this weekend. While changing the fuel hoses under the tank of my 78 Westy, The metal fuel line touched the starter selonoid completing the circut and the starter spun over briefly, and sparks flew. Thankfully no harm done. The fuel tank was empty and the bus wasn't in gear. I recommend that everyone attemting to change out thier fuel hoses disconnect the battery first. I've learned my lesson and hate thinking of what could have happened.
    KEVIN-78 Westy

Default cleaning a fuel tank

I have a 90 Westy and have had to replace my fuel pump again this year. It was very noisy and eventually it surged and stuttered. My research online indicates that the pump may be starving for fuel, this means there must be junk in the tank. I took the tank off and there was some evidence of rust. I brought it to a rad shop to get cleaned out with acid and resealed but I don't know what to do about the plastic pick up that I can barely see through the sending unit hole. I can't even move let alone remove this pickup screen. Im afraid the acid will damage it and guaranteed the sealant will clog the screen. Has anyone faced this situation?

Is it possible to replace the filler tube gaskets without removing the tank?

[Moderator Note: What year, what model? Guideline #3!]
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 02-02-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Default Changing Gasket

The short answer is yes. There is sufficent space once the filler pipe is removed to replace the gasket.

The longer answer is you probably should drop the tank and replace the breather system seals.

Van-cafe.com have a great kit with all the stuff and an article on why it is probably time to do everything. Dropping the tank is not difficult - more just cumbersome. Drain all the fuel out and it is mainly manageble.

Reasons to drop the tank.

-If the main seal seems to be leaking it may actually be the overflow seals.
    -If it is the main seals, the overflow seals will be on their way out
    -It probably is time to replace all your fuel lines anyway.
    -Trying to do the seal with the tank in place WILL put dirt into your tank. Dropping the tank means you will have way less chance of having dirt in your tank. (use a latex glove to cover the main filling seal when the tank is out of the van)
    -Always change the fuel filter after 5 tank fills after doing this job, there will be dirt in your tank that has been disturbed.
    -Always worth marvelling at the complex breather system of the VW tank.

Just a note - cut the breather lines from the expansion tank rather than pulling them off. The kit contains replacement lines and if you try and remove the one from the valve you will probably break the valve ($35 value).

Mike
    '82 Westy Diesel 1.9TD
    (With resealed fuel tank)

[Modertor Note: I ditto Mike's recommendations. It may also be time to inspect for scale & rust. Clean & line the tank if so, which is described a few posts up in this topic.]
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 02-24-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Default Westy Gas Tank

Thanks Mike. It is an 83 camper van. I'll check out your tips and probably drop the tank out.

Default I Dropped the tank already

Yes , I dropped the tank already to lubricate the gear command bars that were too noisy and I found the breather system grommets almost melted and sticky, so I'm going to get them, but where?! what is the name of the kit that Van-cafe has for the whole kit, or the part number to order it. I went to the site but couldn't find it. By the way one of the supports for the gear shaft is also like melted and the holding housing is loosen, is there any adjustment there? looks like somebody worked on it and put two 3/ 16ths screws and an extra nut to separate the metal housing from the steel support. ???? Any way it is loosen and I need some advise on how this grommet should be either adjusted or supported. I also need to know if changing to carburator will make me get rid of the returning fuel line that gets in the tank on the passenger's side of it. My last question is if the heater can be fixed or how to check it to be repaired. Thank you for attending to my many questions.

Default Gravity Vent Valve Grommets

I replaced the fuel tank in my1985 1.9L because the fuel pump was making an intermittent loud buzzing noise. I have the old style translucent plastic box filter and could see what looked like air moving through the filter. I think the pump was cavitating the fuel because the intake line was clogged in the tank. When this gaseous phase fuel hit the pump it made it vibrate.

The new fuel tank has a 12 mm outlet, but I decided to keep the box type fuel filter to protect the fuel pump. The box filter has a 7 mm nipple on the intake side. I reversed the brass fitting on a GoWesty Fuel Filter Upgrade Kit to get a 7 mm fuel line to the filter.

While replacing the tank I found that both fuel expansion tank gravity vent valve grommets were so dry and hard they split in half. The bottom half of each grommet was in its expansion tank and the gravity vent valve was just laying on top of the tank. There was some grit in both tanks, probably thrown up from the front wheels. This grit could easily work its way down into the fuel tank. Since my fuel tank was not badly corroded inside, it may be that this is what clogged the fuel feed. I don't know why the grommets on the expansion tank were in such bad shape. All the grommets on the fuel tank were still soft and flexible, even though it was the original 1985 tank. Even though they're a pain to remove, it might be worthwhile to check the fuel expansion tank grommets, at least on the driver's side where the fuel filler pipe is not in the way. The grommets are less than $10 each, available from Van Cafe and Van Again.

I don't know if this is the right forum or if any around here can point me to the right direction
    I'll be around Los Angeles in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering were to go buy a 1975 VW Bus fuel tank
    Something cheap

Regards
    Adrian Q.
    Boise, ID. 83709

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567