Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Stretching a Westie

Has anyone ever lengthened a Westie? Any pictures or description on the internet?

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Oddly enough, I've seen several 'shortened' buses -- not Westies. The dealer in Prince Rupurt BC has one. I've also seen a picture of a stretched bus, but it was in a magazine years ago. Again, not a Westy.

Anything is possible but I'd sure question the practicality of it by the time you reduce the load ability by the added weight & factor in the power. A fully loaded Westy pushes its maximum GVWR (sticker in door jamb) already, and when loaded, won't win any stoplight Grand Prix.

Thank's for your thoughts, Capt. I suppose stretching would add its own weight to say nothing of the temptation to add still more weight in the extra space - furnace, toilet, generator. Next we'd need to talk about better suspension and increased brake capacity to say nothing of a bigger engine.

Yes, I have seen a stretched Westy. It was in Tampa, FL stopped at a stoplight. I was able to take a few pictures before the light changed. I could send them to you when I find them and scan them. Sorry I'm not prepared, I'm just responding to this post right now while I am here and when I won't forget about it!
    Travis
    Gobusgo! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Campin' in a Westy...doing it natural.

Check out http://www.evcl.com/vw/. The owner of this stretch westy was going through one transaxle per year but it's pretty cool looking.

Thanks to Gobusgo and Ruth Nesland for the replies! Ruth, thanks for the link. My wife and I went straight to it and read it all. I had in mind adding about 18" in length; just enough for a port-a-potty on one side and a furnace and 110 volt AC air conditioner for when I'm parked. This guy went all the way. Ah well, I dream big dreams for my small budget. Gene

you can get a carver heater for your westy,add an aux propane tank,www.eurocampers.com ,a tent for your porta potty,and they do make a stand up portable air conditioner$$$, that would save the streaching the van,space the final frontier in a westy,ive gotten good at it,good luck ,peace

Saw a stretched Type II in Fort Worth back in the mid-80's. Followed them half way across town and they finally stopped at a gro store, where I was able to look at it. It had a wood burning stove inside!