Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stalls and trouble restarting -- carb/fuel/ignition only; NO FI questions

My 88 westy does something similar.
    She stalls shortly after take off but this condition ends when warmed up and never re-occours. What could be causing this ? Have replaced the ECU, Air Flow, Fuel Filter, Ignition wires, Plugs, Distributor.
    Ben bchoate3@earthlink.net

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Have you done the fuel pump delivery rate & relay tests, Bentley 20-19? '88 is FI; This forum only for fuel delivery system up to the FI and coil/distributor problems. FI has its own forum where stall topic already established.

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

hawaiiantim Junior Member posted January 16, 2005 04:53 AM

I have a 1980 vanagon westy. which has all of the symtoms discribed in your posts about Vanagon Syndrome. I recently put a new rebuilt motor, The mechanic I used was a man who has specialized in air cooled VW's for about as many years as they have been making them when he first put the motor in, it worked fine on one 600 mile trip. Then on my second longer trip after putting aprox. 1500 miles, oil change after the first 500 and the valves checked, timing fine tuned, fuel system checked and another oil change At 1500 mi. On my way to the beach from central virgina, I stoped a a gas station and about five minutes after that it started to act up so I assummed it was bad gas or water in the gas. but turned out was not. I brought it to him and he checked every thing out and could find no problems. I dont know If he has ever heard of this vanagon symptom, because I have just learned of this. (I am new to this web site.) Also I had the same symptoms with old motor. Sluggish up hills Hard, to start when warm as if the battery had no power and general lack of power. But not for the 1500 mi after new engine. since i invested almost $4000 after buying for $600 (it had been sitting in a garage not running for 15 years) and has less then 40 000 original miles I want to make sure I dont blow it up or somthing. I am very mechanicly inclined and do all the work my self, other then the new installation. I would apprecieate any input.

Also If you read this Capt. Mike, My girlfriend's kids live in Raligh NC and would love to stop by and chat with you next time I'm there.

Aloha for now;
    Hawaiian Tim

This is NOT Vanagon Syndrome. Per the Vanagon Syndrome topic in the FI forum, '80 models can't have it because it is specific to the Digifant digital FI systems of the 2.1 liter late-model Vanagons.

That a mechanic doesn't find an intermittent problem is not unusual -- they take a long set of step-by-step diagnosis. Everything checked & tested and eliminated is worth as much as finding something. Many times the assumption that "it WAS working fine so it must be something else" bypasses finding the problem. With any system, go back to the basics and start from the source. If you have a fuel delivery problem, start with where you put the fuel into the car -- the gas cap & vent system. Does the correct cap seal and the vent system (evaporative emissions system) breath? Then go from there.

IF the vehicle ran excellent for several hundred miles after the engine overhaul, and occurred right after a fill of fuel, I'd start with the fuel delivery system. A vehicle that sat for that many years probably has considerable rust and deposits in the fuel tank. These can break free and clog pumps, screens, filters and injectors. Start there with the Bentley's checks & testing of fuel pump & delivery. You may have to pull the tank and flush/recoat it.

We welcome Westy owners to visit. The only caveat is that, being retired and now having a teenage daughter, I seem to have misplaced any semblance of a life of my own and free time -- contact me first!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12