Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organizing the checklist

We keep our checklist (or rather, collection of checklists) in an Excel spreadsheet. The list is divided into worksheets - one for each area of the van, with additional sheets for bags (like the toiletries bag), van maintenance (check oil, tires, etc.), and a last minute house list (light timer, burglar alarm...). Each worksheet is divided into columns which contain the individual items, so the 'van - interior front' worksheet would contain a column for 'glove compartment', listing everything that should be there.

The lists are easy to change as you refine your packing and camping routines, and it might prove useful to set up different lists for weekend trips vs. longer vacation journeys. Before we start a trip, we print the list and go through the van, front to back, then outside, as well as all the bags, maintenance chores, etc.

It took a while to get our list in shape and it still changes a bit from time to time, but it works well enough that I thought the idea was worth sharing. Maybe a good winter project?

"May you always camp
    Where the wind don't hit you,
    Where the snakes don't bite
    And the bears won't git you."

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Mine is posted here in this forum in the topic about "Camper Inventory -- 2 month . . .". Just print it out or cut & paste it into a word processor or spreadsheet.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 05-21-2010 at 06:37 PM.

I'm a "list" guy myself. Would it be possible to cut and paste your excel tables into the forum? I'm not computer savy enough to know the answer myself.

Rob in Alaska

See November 24th post above.

I've noticed quite a few requests for a copy of my checklist. I don't mind, but in my original post, I should have made it clear that it was the method of organization rather than the content that I thought was worth sharing. I found that dividing the list up logically into pages of an Excel spreadsheet made it easier to check the van from end to end. The maintenance list and the list of things to buy/do before leaving are useful, too.

Capt. Mike's two-month list is far more comprehensive than mine, and I'd suggest that anyone with spreadsheet software copy the Captain's list, paste it into a spreadsheet and custom-build their own list. If you don't have Excel or similar, my list probably isn't much use.

Another tip if folks haven't already thought of it is to use the sorting function of excel to look at your list several different ways:
    [LIST]<LI>I put the location stuff is stored in the bus for easy checking off the list before a trip<LI>I put a category on each item so I can sort by category (clothes, food, kitchen, tools, etc) so I can make sure I have everything I want even though it may be stored in different locations because of convenience or size<LI>I have another category for major activity for the trip - skiing stuff, hiking stuff, beach stuff, etc

Anne:

Great idea; now I feel like I should be redoing mine.

I thought the excel list was a great starting point for my own list! I added and subtracted a few things to meet my needs.

I plan on numbering each storage area. Then I'll organized my gear catagories using "Colin Fletcher's" book "The Complete Walker Four'"

I've only had my Westy 2.5 week. We're ready to start loading.

I'll post my list when it's completed. Near the end of Jan.

I agree with the Excel folks. I did that for a solo trip to Disneyworld (from CT) -longest trip I ever made in the '68 Westy. I even added a tab to organize my meals & ingredients -plus which night to make a feast & which night to consume leftovers. Ate very well without losing a small fortune to Mickey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast