Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ignition coil problems

Thanks Mike.

Heat sheild? There is no heat sheild. The first replacement coil I purchased was from south of the boarder - it was cheaper, but apparently not economical. The one I just put on is a Bosch. The Bosch one looks just like the one I took off originally, and it came with a dust cap and a mounting bracket. It is mounted to the left side of the engine compartment, and the two bolts that attach it to the body also attaches a sheet metal plate that a small electrical distribution box is mounted to. There is no sort of heat sheild between the coil and the engine head. Should there be?

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

There are three head shields, or splash aprons or dust shields -- whatever you want to call them around the engine compartment. They are bright metal, probably aluminum. One runs across the engine rear between the engine & muffler; the other two are left & right near the bottom of the engince compartment and attach to the framing around the engine opening. If any of these are bent such that the touch the exhaust manifolds or muffler, they will conduct heat into the metal around the engine. Thus that portion gets hotter than desired. If the whole engine area is getting hot, then the coil is also hotter by being in that environment.

The coil does not have an attached shield like the distributor. The distributor shield is actually for ignition noise supression, not a heat shield.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123