Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air filter questions

That's what I needed to know. Thanks alot.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 12-26-2008 at 06:36 PM.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

71surfbus Junior Member posted September 27, 2002 08:35 PM

I'm wondering if there is a better alternative to the "Oil Bath" air cleaner in my 71 camper? Is there a more modern air cleaner I can install and if so would it make any difference in performance? Maybe it's better to just keep it stock? Thanks for any insight.

Hi Capt. Mike,

I'm wondering if it makes any sense to try to force more air into the air intake with an air scoop on the passenger side of the van. I remember seeing such scoops on older air-cooled vans.

Would I need one on both sides to prevent the van from pulling to one side at higher speeds ;-) ?

Or does the stock set-up not make this pointless?

Thanks,
    Mike

Those scoops were to (with doubtful effect) improve air flow to the COOLING fins and oil cooler. They had no effect on performance. Putting an extra obstacle (dogleg) in the air flow at idle could actually hurt. Air flow is governed far more by the intake process -- the "vacuum" of the intake stroke. Sealed, pressurized intake air (turbo or supercharge) can improve performance/efficiency, but only if the fuel system is equally adjusted. And it will have consequences, too; reliability to name one.

Thanks, Capt. Mike

Default Any performance improvement with a K&N filter

On most modern vehicles, the air filter is an intentionally constricted design, although why I don't know. On my BMW, a K&N air filter and cool air intake amounts to a modest horsepower increase and is probably the most common modification to the vehicle. I see that Capt. Mike implies that changing the amount of air that comes through the air filter might negatively affect vechile performance - apparently there is no air mass sensor on the Vanagon. But considering the fact that my 1984 Vanagon needs every 1/4 horsepower it can get, I was wondering if anyone has put a K&N air filter on their Vanagon and noticed anything at all - better, worse, etc.

I somewhat answered my own question regarding air filters. I got a good price on K&N filter amd installed it. I know there is a placebo affect with these kinds of parts (my father-in-law swore cow magnets worked), but several people I asked to listen noticed that there was a significant engine response improvement - the engine revved up faster. The engine runs smoothly. I will be taking The Twinkie on a 1,000 mile trip. I have gas mileage records before the trip and I will compare them afterwards.

Question Westy Diesel Air Intake

I replaced the air filter on my 82 Westy Diesel last weekend and noticed that the big black plastic tube thingy that connects to the air filter box is: 1) Not bolted to the frame, and 2) Not connected to an accordian style aluminized air intake hose (looks like a small dryer vent hose) that appears to be hanging down from the air intake shaft on the driver's side. Of course, I can't find ANYTHING in the Bently on this (I seldom can). So I'm looking at two choices: 1) Chuck the plastic tube thingy that connects to the air box and trust that the engine will get enough air through the engine compartment, or 2) Spend the time, effort, and $$$ to get it all hooked up again. If #2, it looks like the 2 bolts that used to mount the air intake are missing and one of the mounting holes is broken off, so I'll need to figure out a creative way to mount it (or try and find a used one). Also the air intake hose hanging down is shredded at the end and would likely need replacing to hook it back up(seems like a real nightmare). Anyone have any experience with this? If so, what do you suggest? Thanks!

Default Diesel air intake

Well to start with all parts are NLA (as far as I can remember) get used to those letters with the diesels (of course there is always a work round...)

I ran my 1.6na for years with the air intake into the engine bay as I had the same problem. I noticed no drop in power or any other problems.

I think the 'snorkle' system is really for noise! Go figure most of the noise from the diesel is air intake related!

I attempted to plum the system correctly but could not find any flexible hose that would not break down very quickly, so in the end went for using air in the engine compartment.

When your 1.6na needs replacing and you upgrade to some other engine you can fabricate a way better system with an air box from a 3.3l dodge caravan.

For more westy diesel stuff sign on to the diesel-vanagon group in yahoo.

I have a K&N filter for you if you want to pay shipping.

Mike
    '82 Westy diesel 1.9TD

Default Diesel Air Intake

Thanks Mike! I figured the "eject the snorkle" strategy would probably be the best option, but having a thumbs up from someone who's been-there-done-that is always nice . As to the K&N offer, see my PM. Since we both have 82 Westy diesels, I'm sure we'll be in contact again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12