Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DeLorme AAA Map & Go and other products

I've owned a number of mapping programs and use them extensively. I am also a member of AAA and use their routing and Trip Tik packages for most major trips.

AAA Map & Go is DeLorme's version of a computer mapping package. It has a sister package, Street Atlas USA that has very detailed maps. Together, they make a good trip planning system.

Map & Go allows you to designate start & stop points with various waypoints in between. With a little practice, you can actually pinpoint your own address and destination address. (Living out in the country, I find it frustrating every trip started in the center of town 20 miles away!)

Map & Go will then allow you to taylor your trip for Quickest, Shortest, Scenic, or preferences you set, such as maximizing Interstate type highways. You can also avoid areas or features (such as ferries). The package allows you to adjust for your speed preferences on different type of roads.

Map & Go will then print out a table detailing the trip directions, miles and driving times. It prints a general map and can be programed to print Trip Tik style strip maps and more detailed destination maps.

However, it is far from perfect. It doesn't seem to be able to differentiate town size, so a dinky little town may show up while a major metropolis be missing. It does NOT include any rest stops. The dBase of features and facilities is far from perfect. The maps are difficult to read and not presented in the format and style we've grown to expect for good old Rand McNally.

You can program in any amount of stops, but the calculations do not provide for stop-over times, so it will not provide a daily itinerary. Since all mileage and times are cumulative, it takes some fair mind-math to figure out how far or long to the next point of interest. In fact, I will often break a trip down into smaller segments and print them out individually.

In summary, I still call it a planning package. I use it to plan the trip, alternative routes, stops & some facilities. I may use it by itself for shorter trips, but will usually take the planned trip down to AAA for the real Trip Tiks and their Tour Guide books.

I then go to Street Atlas then for detailed maps of particular sites such as the destination and stops. This is a big help in finding an address or particular facility because you can scale it right down the the individual street & block.

The package is fairly strong in the USA, but begins to drop in quality in the more remote areas of Canada. It appears the roads are always a couple of years behind.

For example, I just tested a trip from NC to Mayo, Yukon Territory. 4,000 miles and 84 hours driving time took about 30 seconds. So you can quickly figure out if you can make that in a long weekend! Like I said, a PLANNING aid.

I'd also suggest you get the current Rand McNally and combine the Map & Go planning, the Rand McNally for reference, and a fresh AAA Trip Tik for daily driving.

It is vastly superior to AAA's own, the Rand McNally routing package, and the old MSoft package. At least the versions I've tried.

You can reach DeLorme from the sponsor banner on the home page.

[This message has been edited by Capt. Mike (edited 01-03-2001).]

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Transferred to consolidate similar topics.

Driving time

mi3ke Junior Member posted September 08, 2003 08:07 AM

I am going from Dinosaur National mon. to Yellowstone later this month and was wondering if anyone out there has made this drive and can tell me how long it took them in a Westy? I am guessing about 8 hours. Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Mi3ke

Map Quest & trip planning

A. Cooper Member posted September 08, 2003 10:01 AM

Mike,

As a lifelong flatlander from Wisconsin, my first Westy road trip to the western states was a real eye-opener. That rough-and-tumble country of mountains and valleys has been carved by numerous rivers into a seemingly never-ending landscape of canyons and mesas. These require tight and twisty turns both to climb and to descend, so one finds it takes much longer to get around out there. Throw enough 25-mph switchbacks into your day and it can really slow you down.

The locals well know this, and will tell you that a particular 75-mile drive takes 2 hours. Believe them. We ended up spending much more time driving than we wanted, with less time to see our various destinations.

I find MapQuest to be a great online resource --www.mapquest.com/directions/. Simply type in your starting and ending points and the trip calculator will provide what seem to be very accurate estimations of time and mileage. It apparently takes into consideration road conditions, traffic, terrain, etc..

Such pre-trip planning can make the difference between an enjoyable journey and a long, grueling death-march. Intersperse your long driving days with days spent lounging in camp, hiking in one of our great national parks, or taking in a museum or other attraction. You can always come back for a second trip.

Happy travelling!

AAA routing problem

Just a word of caution about AAA routing. I've always liked the trip-tiks -- still the best of the packages I've seen -- and they do produce some of the better Tour Guides and Camp Guides.

But . . .

Their routing has gone way downhill. It seems like I can't get one that either listens to what I tell them or does any double-checking for accuracy. My latest, even after I sat down with them and drew out the exact route, came in completely different. Apparently they now have an automated package and nobody bothers to check them out.

My latest was a trip to WI from NC. Because I was hauling 27' of wide-body car-carrier, I knew I didn't want either W.Va's "Bump-pike" or the backroads from there over to Cincinati. Also, with 50' of truck and trailer, life is too short to go through Chicago so we duck over to Champaign IL and up north. This adds ½ hour to the trip but is more than worth it.

What do you think the Trip-Tiks did? You're right -- ignored the map we laid out with the AAA routing desk and sent me right back to their automated route. Next time I'm going to sit there with them until they get it right.

As to driving times, the front of a Rand-McNally has a map of the US with common hubs cities and the mileage AND driving times between them; easy to add up for working estimates.

A question about delormes map and go gps.
    As technology marches one, I'm left with hardware that won't run on new machines. I have a older (2-3yrs) Delorme gps, that plugs into my old lap top via serial port. Works great running win95-98. My new lap top runs xp and has no serial port! Visiting Delorme in Maine, they suggested the only option was a new gps unit to run usb. I have to admit I'm tired of having to changes horses everytime we need a nail in the shoes! Anybody know of a way to adapt the serial port gps to usb reliably?

Alternativly, instead of buying a Delorme unit that only works with the laptop, is there better alternative with a handheld that I can use with or with out the computer?

I am not really a computer guy, but having the laptop and the gps is kinda fun. Truth is you are never really lost, you just don't know where you are sometimes.

Icarus

Hi Icarus, gpscity.com sells all kinds of adapters and plug in's for gps units. They have a USB to Serial adaptor here: http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/03...37/search.html

I also noticed that the serial to usb adaptors are made by ACC, which you can purchase from direct at www.cablesbyacc.com

That should help you out. I hate having to purchase something new when the old item is still functioning, but unable to communicate with my new hardware. And a $40 cable is a lot cheaper than the new GPS unit.

Corey
    Corey
    '85 VanagonGL Westy
    1.9L Wasserboxer

Corey,
    Thanks for the info.

As always, I can buy a new delorme unit for $100 usd, or a new cord and software for $40...
    Tough choice. My experiance with usb adapters is that they don't run terribly well. I guess I'll have to punt.

Thanks

Tony

I had to do a major upgrade of my computers recently and discovered Windows XP is NOT backwards compatible to older software. Thus my DeLorme AAA May & Go and DeLorme Street Atlas wouldn't work. I order the replacement upgrade (that combines both).

It stinks! It's almost impossible to figure out; can't be programmed to route like the old; and can't produce the reports, maps and features of the old. It's got tons of useless features and new bells & whistles, but can't give you a decent route anymore. "New & Improved" is in the eye of the idiots at advertising, not real world users.

Update on DeLorme Street Atlas 2006.

I've continued to try to work with DeLorme's 2006 edition and am rapidly coming to the conclusion it's useless. Again and again, I've tried to do routine routes only to find it does crazy things. It will send you through miles of back roads and ignore a direct state highway. If you try to force the route with "vias" it will instead just act like they are side trips and do 2-way additions off the previous idiotic route. It only offers two route options (shortest & quickest vs. the old version's 4 -- adding scenic and preferred with your road preferences.

Don't buy it! It's a shame, really. The older version was excellent and put Map Quest and some of the others to shame.