Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A/C Evaporator (inside) unit

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

chrispa Junior Member posted July 26, 2003 01:19 AM

A/C Wiring

I have a new to me 84 Westy with non working AC and as a part of my initial diagnostic process have discovered that the fan/temperature switch has a burnt out/missing terminal on the back and a melted wire. I joyfully set out to replace it but could not find a source. Finally I turned to the dealer and he ordered a replacement. Wife picked it up today in Santa Barbra. Unfortunately it seems to be a fan only switch and has no additional mechanism on top to adjust temperature. Both switches are made by INDAK and have the same patent number on them; however my original switch has an added round part on top with the numbers C75315 235308 stamped on the side. This added part allows for adjusting the temperature. Does anyone know what the correct replacement part number would be?
    Also a wiring diagram for reconnecting the switch, once located, would be great as I inadvertently forgot to tag the wires in my haste to remove the switch. All the wires were yellow with different colored stripes except one which was black. Any help would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

I suspect you will find that you have a dealer or POE installed A/C instead of factory. I have not seen any factory A/C's with other than the dual switch panel to the right of the radio area. Quite naturally, the VW replacments will be for that set-up.

A/C controls are relatively generic. Since none of the Vanagons had a temp-matic system, you had one switch to control fan speed and another to control the thermostat. Usually, they are wired in a series so that you must have both on to operate the A/C. Vanagons typically had only a 4-speed fan with no "off" position, and a thermostat. The thermostat was the master switch, also providing power to the fan switch. Thus the fan could only run when the thermostat was "on."

As such, it should be fairly easy to replace your dual control with the standard two single controls. I'm sure there are plenty in the salvage yards. A/C wiring diagram is in the Bentley (Guideline #2).

Default water in the passenger footwell

Our 93 Eurovan seems to be leaking condensation for the AC into the footwell on the passenger's side up front. Anybody have a clue as to what causes this and how to stop it?

[Moderator Note: Bentley 87-63; Guideline #2]
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 08-24-2009 at 06:31 AM.

Default Fuse Location for Evaporator fan(s) in '90 Westfalia?

The evaporator fan in my '90 Westfalia stopped working, the compressor still kicks in when I turn on the unit, but the fans don"t blow. I intend to check the fuses for it. I have reviewed the Bentley book and think they may be behind the cabinets in the back left of the bus, Bit I would like some more guidance before I start ripping things apart. There must surely be an easy way to get to those fuses.

If anybody has any other ideas about the problem, I am wide open for input.

All best,

Buddy

Bentley 87.3, item #20; also check relay 97.143 wiring diagram of A/C, circuits #6-9. Removing the vrtical box around the A/C is not hard. Remove one shelf (push-pin retainer) and two bracket screws. The box will lift right out.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 11-05-2010 at 05:01 AM.

Default AC

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
    Transferred to consolidate same topic.

chrispa Junior Member posted July 26, 2003 01:19 AM

A/C Wiring

I have a new to me 84 Westy with non working AC and as a part of my initial diagnostic process have discovered that the fan/temperature switch has a burnt out/missing terminal on the back a)nd a melted wire. I joyfully set out to replace it but could not find a source. Finally I turned to the dealer and he ordered a replacement. Wife picked it up today in Santa Barbra. Unfortunately it seems to be a fan only switch and has no additional mechanism on top to adjust temperature. Both switches are made by INDAK and have the same patent number on them; however my original switch has an added round part on top with the numbers C75315 235308 stamped on the side. This added part allows for adjusting the temperature. Does anyone know what the correct replacement part number would be?
    Also a wiring diagram for reconnecting the switch, once located, would be great as I inadvertently forgot to tag the wires in my haste to remove the switch. All the wires were yellow with different colored stripes except one which was black. Any help would be appreciated.
    Hi
    Wanted to ask you a couple questions. My ac is blowing fine but air not cold. Checked with gauge it read in the red. Would the clutch not come on if too full? Is there a relay and where is it located as the fuses are good. If ac thermostat where is that located. Didn't check to see if compressor clutch came on will . Also dag gone squirrels chewed a yellow and green wire back on left side in hole in front of tail light decided by what looks like a power plug of some sort but creates a partition wires were on the other side. What are they for? Connected Y bk up but couldn't find where green connects into Ty

Default Ac

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
    Bentley 87.3, item #20; also check relay 97.143 wiring diagram of A/C, circuits #6-9. Removing the vrtical box around the A/C is not hard. Remove one shelf (push-pin retainer) and two bracket screws. The box will lift right out.

Wanted to ask you a couple questions. My ac is blowing fine but air not cold. Checked with gauge it read in the red. Would the clutch not come on if too full? Is there a relay and where is it located as the fuses are good. If ac thermostat where is that located. Didn't check to see if compressor clutch came on will . Also dag gone squirrels chewed a yellow and green wire back on left side in hole in front of tail light decided by what looks like a power plug of some sort but creates a partition wires were on the other side. What are they for? Connected Y bk up but couldn't find where green connects into Ty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12