Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fuel supply and ignition caused idle or stall problems. NO FI questions

The more likely cause is the decel system and FI adjustment. This forum stops on FI equipped models (see forum header) when the fuel pump delivers gas to the FI system. See the FI forum.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Ok...I am totally at a loss for this issue. I own an 89 Carat and when ever I execute a hard right (especially going up an incline) my engine tries to stall. Yep...you read that correctly. The van will buck and I watch my RPMs drop briefly. It happends on occasion when I am driving on a bumpy road.

This is what has been completed:

- Check for Grounds
    - Recently had fuel tank seals replaced
    - Replaced fuel tank balance tube
    - Recent tune-up

One person I recently had a conversation regarding this thought maybe I had a fuel pump issue? I apologize now if this was posted incorrectly but I am not sure where it would fit. Any help would be great!

Thanks

It still sounds like a ground or short. IF consistent, when you turn, the engine & transmission settle on their mounts, especially if worn or damaged. This allows wiring to stretch or break contact. That it happens on straight, bumpy roads is more confirmation. There are a dozen or better sensors that are engine dependent such as O & temp.

There should be nothing in the fuel pump (except the aforementioned wiring & grounds) that would change with turn. There are no fuel lines (supposed to be) running in the suspension range to pinch. Debris in the tank 'may' appear to give this symptom, but not consistently.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 06-08-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Hello,

I have a 72 kombi, dual carbs, 1700 cc engine. And it dosn't idle, just stalls when the gas is let off. The left carb sounds like it's sucking air when the engine is reved. But she does run (not perfectly) when the gas pedal is pressed down.

This problem occoured over night, the only ad normal thing was the day before I had a heaver load in the car than normal, 5 people instead of two. And my choke is disconnected, possibly putting strain on the carbs?

Any suggestions? Any tests to do to narrow down the problem? She was running great before this happened.

Thanks,
    Alex

Sucking air is just that and will do what you describe -- will run at high throttle where there is sufficient fuel for richness, but die at idle -- too much air. The reason being the fuel-air mixture at idle is no longer within acceptable ratios (~13-14:1)

The vacuum leak could come from many sources, including carb gaskets, vacuum connections and intake manifold leaks. That your symptom began suddenly reinforces this -- many of the other items in the troubleshooting chart will increase slowly or give symptoms erraticaly to begin with.

These have to be fixed; use a vacuum tester to isolate the offending leak. Symptom 5 in the Bentley 52-.1, table b. gives several things to check & repair. The '72 idle is basically controlled by the left carb. However they must be synchronized to run correctly, which is described in 2-5.2. If it fails, you can get fuel for running from the carbs, but niether side gets fuel for idling from the idle system. Proper adjusting requires a carb syncrhronizing tool and the Uni-syn is probably the best. Additional synchronization is accomplished with the idle speed adjusting screws only after everything else is correct and then usually donw with a CO monitor.

But please do pay attention to the warnings in 2-5.3 about idle adjusting. Your problem is probably well before that stage and such adjusting is more likely to add to problems -- it didn't suddenly get out of a fine-tune adjustmet to that degree.

Poor pick-up, water or trash in the fuel can cause the pump to buzz as an indicator it's either cavitating or the pump has picked up a piece of debris. If the tank wasn't flushed & cleaned when you put the new pump in, it would only take a few seconds to suck in some additional debris that is making noise in the rotor. It's unlikely to cause the idle stumble. See the "Fuel tank . . " & "Fuel pump . . ." topics.

An exhaust leak can cause the idle to stumble -- the O sensor is not getting an accurate reading and could be trying to compensate. This would be more apparent at idle than speed. See O topic.

The Federal version gets only the square platic filter. Bentley 20.18, Fig. 1.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 07-19-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Smile Engine Sputtering

Hi all. I am a new Westy owner and new to the site. My Westy is a 1991 GL. It has 135K. Bought it a month ago. Did PPI and it all checked out. However, sometimes, particularly when going uphill, the engine "sputters" and looses power. It doesn't stall and eventually catches up with itself. Have any of you experienced this or can you direct me to the appropriate thread (if I'm in the wrong one). Thanks and I really appreciate any tips you can offer.

I will apologize in advance if this appears to be a fuel injected problem...I honestly dont know. My air cooled 82 Westy has always (since I purchased it) run a bit cold. It generally takes 10 minutes or so to get her warmed up enough to get going. Recently, the van broke down. I was able to get it running again but each and everytime I cranked it back up, it would simply stall out. I gave her a tune up, new coil, dist. cap, rotor, plugs, wires etc. I also replaced the fuel filter. Cranked her up and she ran great for only a few seconds. Still it will not hold the idle. I am not sure what should be the next logical step...replace the fuel pump? Check the fuel lines? Drop the tank and look for junk? Any suggestions?

Thanks. If you feel this may be related the fuel injection, please let me know and I will post my question in the FI side.

So....I tried to run some fuel line/ fuel injector cleaner thru tonite...still no luck. Im stumped. Could this be a vacuum problem? a FI problem? a fuel pump problem? Any suggestions/ ideas?
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 10-14-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Continuation of same post; has email blocked

Hi everyone, I've been reading the forum since I got the van but this is the first problem that I haven't been able to find a solution to in the archives.

I'm travelling through the States from Canada right now and the van ran great through all of the northern states that we crossed until we got to Utah. What has been happening (and I have noted similar symptoms in other posts) is that the engine temporairly loses power under load (hills) only to come back up when I let off the throttle. If I don't pull over and just keep working the throttle, the problem eventually worsens to the point where the engine stalls. If we leave it alone to cool off for 5-15 mins, it will work fine until the next hill. The other thing I have noticed is that the desert heat seems to bring about this problem. We've driven at night with no probs, but as soon as we run mid day, it starts acting up.
    I took it to a mechanic in Grand junction who checked the timing for altitude(left it as is) and replaced the fuel filter which was dirty. Problems continued. In checking the engine during one of our "cooling off" periods, I noticed that the wire feeding power to the two small coils above the ignition coil had melted almost completely through the insulaton.
    Could these be related or are they seperate problems? I have the bentley and have been searching for answers to no avail

Went to the VW dealer in Flagstaff today, the tech told us that high ambient can cause the fuel to cavitate in the fuel pump and bring on the surging/hesitating. Told that our only real solution was to keep the tank full to keep the fuel cool-makes sense but I hope I can find a more permanant solution. Al;so going to upgrade the air flow harness as per The Bentley.

Thanks

What year & model? Guideline #3!
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 08-19-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234