Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Upgrading carb Type II's to FI 2.0 engines.

Hi all VW lovers.
    I have a question that only you guys can help with.I own a 75 1.8L westie with automatic tranmission. My engine needs a valve and ring job. Not an Issue.
    I have the power to purchase a 2.0L motor out of a 78 westie with manual tranmission.
    Can I put that motor in my 75 or is the trasnmission drive shaft too small?? The book titled How to keep you VW alive states in the back of the book that a guy did not know why hi trans seal kept blowing. Because a 75 tranny was put in with a 78 motor.
    My situation is the other way?
    CAN I DO THIS????????

thanks to all
    Dean

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: Capt. Mike ]

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Stop & think; get a Bentley shop manual; and visit your dealer for a quick check of the parts fiche for differences.

The engine stops at the crankshaft. In an M/T tranny model, a flywheel is bolted to the crankshaft. In an A/T model, the torque converter and flex plate are what attached to the crankshaft. Is the crankshaft different between models? I don't think so! It wouldn't make sense from a production point of view.

I don't comment on engine swaps (Message Board Guidelines #6) but I will tell you I'd question any book that tells you he can't diagnose & fix a problem he's publishing. Seals "blow" for a reason; write him and ask why.

In regards to your question - yes, the 2.0 engine can fit your 1975, but there are some issues to consider. The 75 1.8 engine uses a mechanical fuel pump, where as the 2.0 engine will be coming from a fuel injected bus, which means it doesn't use a mechanical pump, but an electric pump on the frame. The cases are the same on both engines and will bolt up to the transmission without any trouble. Of course, since your bus is automatic, and the other one is manual - you will need to swap flywheels (torque convert plate on yours) and basically do a thrust bearing shimming due to the swap. Nothing real serious, but you will need to have some extra shims to probably get the .004 end play, and a way to measure the end play. The book you were relating to might have the method to do this, if not get yourself a good Bentley VW Factory Shop Manual. The cooling tin on both engines are a little different, due to the fuel injection, but you can swap this from one engine to another. The other item that is different is the exhaust ports - (if I remember correctly?) or perhaps I'm thinking of the exhaust outlets of the heater boxes to the exhaust - one has a single hole, the other has a double, smaller holes. Anyway, you will want to check on this. You may have to use the heater boxes, and exhaust that comes on the 78 engine. You will want to make sure of this before you do. In regards to whether the carb system and other related parts will fit - yes they will. Just make sure you swap everything off (accessories, distributor, etc.) from the one to the other (except the fuel pump, as mentioned above). I had a '74 Westy and wanted a little more power out of her. I had really considered putting in the 2.0 - especially for the increase in engine size, power, stroke, etc. It is a nicer engine for the bus, and it can be done, but it will be a little work. If you can afford the time and the cost of getting the other engine, it might be worth it. Keep in mind, you will need to get a good electric fuel pump, not just a cheap little square pulse pump but a good high flow model, like a Carter electric high pressure pump. The other thing you will probably have to change is the two lower studs that are the mounting studs that go through the transmissions. The automatic is a little different in size, so you will will want to swap that as well. Hope this helps, and yes, I agree with Capt. Mike staying with the original stuff is a great deal easier, and easier to get parts for the next owner, when that time comes to need to sell - but it is always nicer to make good improvements. Hope this helps and good luck. CGOTTS
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 06-27-2009 at 07:42 PM.

I am trying to determine if a later type IV engine (78/79) with hydraulic lifters will be an easy replacement in my 1972 camper bus. The stock 1.7 doesn't pull hills well and I am tired of adjusting valves.