Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying a Canadian Westy for the US and Vice-versa

I will be importing my van from México into the US in May. Wish me luck!! I am planning on posting my experience to share with this website and maybe help others

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Hey there. Good luck with importing your VW into the US. I know when I was considering do something similar from the US to Canada, I really had to do a bunch of research to make sure that the vehicle was made for the north american market (seat belts, exhaust, etc) and that the paper work was prepared and completed prior to crossing the border --including having to cross at a particular crossing on a specific date. I also know that my the vehicle I had been thinking of importing was exempt from a lot of provincial statues (because it was considered an "antique") which was great when it came to emissions, safety laws in Ontario. Anyways, best of luck. Rick.

Good luck and please do post on your experience. I've been lusting after some Mexi-vw's for a while.

Forgot to re-post my experience, since so much has happened with our VW T2 Bus Mexican Combi.
    I lost the chance to use the form I was supposed to turn in at customs, since I used the wrong entrance to the US
    I got reprimanded, but allowed to pass since the vehicle was made prior to 1980 -According to the form the time that all the special features needed to be in place.
    As requested, I went to the DMV as soon as we reached home and registered Mia -that's how we call her.
    Apparently when the vehicle is made prior 1980 from Mexico, you only need Mexican Licenses plates, registration and all under the same owner's name
    We had all the paperwork, so we had not much problems here
    The trip from Mexico was amazing, 2,850 miles of fun
    today I am happily driving my VW Combi back and forth to work, we went camping once last year
    Still a work in progress, but getting there.
    Adrian Q.
    Boise, ID. 83709

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123