Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Canadian Westy for the US and Vice-versa

Default Buying a Canadian Westy for the US and Vice-versa

I've found a Westy in Canada that I think I'm interested in, however, I have no idea what would have to be done to purchase it and bring it into the US legally.

Can anyone show me to information on this either in the archives (already looked) or elsewhere?

Thanks for your help!

Matthew
    NC
    Matthew
    NC

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

I live up north, and have sold a few vehicles to people in the U.S. Not ever a problem, two options though, having it shipped, or picking it up yourself. Each province has a separate motor vehicle office and some details may be different. Shipping via truck usually involves a border broker, at @ $200 for the paperwork. If you're picking it up and driving it yourself you do the paperwork at the border.Can take abit of time but works fine.
    Brian

Transferred from another post to consolidate same subject.

Process of Canadian seller delivering to the US

Robdulnabe, Junior Member, 04-24-2001 11:57 PM

Hi Mike. I am in the process of buying a 91 full camper from Canada. The guy said he will deliver it to me in Pennsylvania. What do we have to do when he delivers it to me? What should I do before hand? I really do not have any clue of the process. Should there be any reason to question the mileage(21,000 miles) since I heard of some incident of odometer fraud from Quebec. Also what should I look out for on buying a westy from Canada? Thanks alot. Rob

Transferred from another post to consolidate similar topics.

Eurovan TDI Syncro from Canada??
    Scott Davidson

Member # 0 posted 08-28-2000 12:33 AM

IN his response to the topic "Eurovan for mountains and snow" (6.8.2000), Capt. Mike stated that Eurovan TDI Syncros are sold in Canada. I haven't been able to find corroboration of that on the net. The VW Canada site makes no mention of them. Is this just an ugly rumor? Were they available in the past perhaps?

The reason why I ask is that I would love (like so many others in the U.S.) to get my hands on one. I've done a little research on importing used ones from europe (and new ones too for that matter) -- but it would certainly be easier from Canada. Even if I were to import one from europe, I'd be concerned about parts. They would be much easier to aquire if VW Canada had a stock of them.

An anciary question: If said vehicles were available in Canada, what kind of government red tape could I expect to run into trying to import one? How different are government environmental and safety reg's?

Capt. Mike Moderator Member # 11 posted 08-30-2000 07:39 AM

First, call VW! It's a free call. Models come & go in the line-up for no logical reason. Don't rely on somebody else's posting of what he may have heard. The net is notorious; don't even trust me. Although I've never been impressed with their Customer Service operators, you might try asking for a sales manager. They used to have a seperate bus manager but that job was phased into another in the early '90s.
    The reasons I presume diesels (I didn't say the new TDI) were available in Canada is during a Buses on the Blue Ridge gathering, a Eurovan 5-cyl diesel panel van showed up. It was a LWB model, the owner was a Canadian, had bought it locally up there. Note I didn't say it was a Camper, either. It may have only been available a short while and may have only been available in the commerical market.

What it does show is VW makes some decent vehicles - diesel, 4WD, LWB, etc. It's too bad they don't have anyone in marketing smart enough to sell them. I guess if you sit in a cubicle in NYC in marketing, spending all day watching videos of the Japanese mini-vans you think that's where your competition and market are. Too bad we can't get them out into the boonies in a camper!

Watch Out!
    The worries are not worth the troubles in importing Westies to the U.S. from Canada ( & Bugs from Mexico). I recently imported my dream 1978 Westy in the spring of 2001 from BC to the US, it can be a confusing process but if your "customs savy" you should have no problem. Even if you want to pick it up yourself and drive it across the border the process has to authenticated so it can be registered in the States.
    First, before you even put an offer down on the Westy you should speak to a Vehicle Import Broker. This person is who you have to go through to take care of all the environmental standard, authentication and paperwork, and also coordinates with your Importer who you will meet at the border to pick up your private commercial manifest that you will give to the Customs Officer upon entering the US.
    Also their are alot of Catch 22's and red tape in vehicle importation politics. It's how country's can make a little cash$ on the side. For instance, if the Westy your interested in is 25 years old or younger it must compy to Dept. of Transportation standards here in the US. Like a metric speedo is against the law here in hte States. It must have either a dual KM/MPH or a MPH only. IT MUST BE CONVERTED BEFORE ENTRY INTO THE STATES! Also Canadian and Mexican Emissions Laws are more laxed than they are in the States, Yes Canada has laxed emissions laws! So if its a smokey pipe it won't pass here and therefore you will not be able to licence it in the states.
    Also, beware! i heard that the US is supposed to impound cars for a month if they are not up to "American" standards, So please have all conversions done before you go.
    And one more thing! you also need to know the month and year your Westy was made before you can even think about importing it from wherever!
    Hope this helps, any questions look me up and e-mail me!
    Justin in Seattle

Here is a link on the topic
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

There is a cutoff at 25 years, older than that there are no import
    restrictions on bringing a car into the USA, but there still may be state
    licensing restrictions which must be met. Check with your state licenser.

Follow the non-Canadian link and there is a list of Registered Importers. A
    quick call to one in your state would likely answer your questions without
    trying to interpret the online info.

I think you will find the cutoff is NOT 25 years, but vehicles built before 1968 ('67 & older model years). It happens to be 25 years right now but the 1968 EPA & safety standards date remains fixed.

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

malouin1940 Junior Member Posted February 17, 2005 12:20 PM

I am a new member, looking around for the best bang for my (retired on a pension) buck in purchasing an approximately 10 year old Westy. I owned one in the past and now that I am retired, I would like to have one again for surf fishing, mountain hideout seeking and escaping various and sundry Honey Do lists.

Because I am VERY unhandy, my web researches are leading me into buying something that is in the most reliable shape I can find, at a price I can afford, that is from a dealer rather than an unknown party. Does this make any sense?

The dealer appearing in the subject line here is a Westfalia Owners official site sponsor. I had a look at their inventory and gave them a brief call. The owner (Dominique) believes that 10 year old Westy, in excellent shape, should go for about $10,000, that is US and not Canadian, and he says he turns over his inventory very rapidly and handles all customs paperwork. My guess is that they buy tip-top models in our Sun Belt and ship them to Quebec to refurbish them, at labor costs lower than down here. This is stretching my budget, but if he is selling totally reliable vehicles, it may be worth it in the long run. Incidentally, one of his pages refers to 3 year warranties, available in Canada only, which give some indication of his quality and reputation.

That said: anyone familiar with this "rvwestfalia" operation? Any satisfied customers out there?

Joe

Mitch6777 Junior Member Posted February 19, 2005 12:05 PM

Bonjour from Montreal!
    Just (re) signed in to this site.
    And saw your request...

Joe..You are in N.Virginia...Just the logistics of buying a Westy from a dealer up in Canada than bringing it back down home would leave me uneasy if I were in your shoes.

That business was the first (and only) I visited when I was looking for what was to become my 77. He is a "car" dealer. Passionnate maybe. But a dealer in all that it implies.
    I haven't checked his prices lately (in fact he doesn't show any along with his inventory) but the $US10K you mention seems way below the current market value up here. It would even be low for a 20-year old model!

3 years ago he quoted me $CDN15K for an 87.
    Even with the better exchange rate it would be hard to explain.
    If he can buy US Westies for less Canadian dollars, allow me to suggest he won't drop his local prices...He'll just make more money. And sell them up here.

Please recheck your info. How many $$ for which type of Westy (which generation).

Garantee: His text blurb suggests it's "available"...which means extra $$$ IMO.

Finally _and unfortunately_ the local aircooled Westy Internet group to which I subscribe have a generally negative view of this business. But that could be just because the aircooled crowd are usually do-it-yourself VW owners who will shy away from such a business. And the syrupy salesmanship...

My opinion: deal locally. You will be doing business with them often enough since your US$10K will buy you +/- an 87 Westy at best(?) and it will need work, coming on close to 20 years!

But should you still want to deal with this business you will find local owners of this generation of Westies, _among which there will surely be some who have bought from him_ on the following Quebec web site: "les mon'oncles en folie". Google that title along with VW and you should find it.

If not, let me know.
    Good luck

I was particularly taken by the sound advice provided by Mitch6777, to include the very wise "reality check" on the air-cooled Westies. I also appreciate the Quebec web site, and I just may run into some uncles of my own: on ne sait jamais!

Many thanks

I bought a Canadian 91 westie from a private party. To register it in Idaho, I had to go to a customs office (Spokane,WA) to complete the paperwork. The car was in Amsterdam, I used it in Europe, then shipped it to Mexico, and drove it across into Texas. It was a week-end, so they told me to import it when I got home(it had temp TX plate).
    VW can give the Canadian owner an official letter telling what needs to be done to make it to US specs. VW don't like to do this, and will drag their feet. Just insist. My 91 was ok except for the speedometer; needs miles, not kms. I changed it in Mexico, and then the customs agent didn't even ask out it. Then I had to pay about $200 duty. That is all that there was to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast