Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Camping and travel with pets

Hi, I am beginning a cross country trip with a friend and dog in my newly acquired 87 Westie. We leave nest week 8/4. We are total Westie novices.
    We are particularly interested in anyones experience camping near highway 2 (The great northern" route) and highway 50 (the lonliest road).
    Also if anyone has any tips re how difficult it is to camp with a dog this would be good to know. Thanks, Leslie

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Westys are great for dogs. My daughter travels extensively in her 87 with two poodles and a Chocolate Lab. They seem very comfortable in the Westy. It's cooler inside than a conventional vehicle when you stop, which is important with dogs. She has a small 12 volt electric fan that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Also, carry water for the dog. If the dog is rambunctious, you may want to keep it in a cage while driving. My daughter recommends this. One of her dogs tends to get under the pedals while driving. Have a safe trip and enjoy.
    GaryB

We travel with two kids and two dogs, both greyhounds. Sleeping space is at a premium, so I built a plywood "bridge" to go between the two front seats. It has little fold down legs to prevent the panel from sliding off. I just turn the seats to face each other, put on the plywood panel, and put a dog bed on top. It fits well. Fortunately, one of the greyhounds likes to sleep on our sofa and the other doesn't, so one dog sleeps on the floor and the other across the seats.

I found a book called: The Dog Lovers Guide to California Parks. It lists many parks that allow dogs, the local leash laws, and nicities such as dog runs.

--Matthew

I have a book called "The Dog Lover's Guide to California". This book is amazing and is probably the same book byterbit is referring to.

It provides a region-by-region breakdown of dog-friendly parks, open spaces and communities.

aPICT0190.JPG

aPICT0310.jpg

Panoche Hills is a nice area to go with dogs. It is west of Fresno, about two or three hours from the Bay Area. No leash requirements and you can camp anywhere you want for free. You need a BLM or NF burn permit if you want to have a fire. The main road is very well maintained, I have seen some honda civics driving up there. There are some side roads with gates that say something to the effect of please keep this gate closed but you are allowed to drive through and there are a lot of remote campsites. You can search panoche hills to get the blm website with all the regulations...

As long as you have a well-behaved dog, it's no different than traveling anywhere with your dog. When leaving your dog in the Westy, we alwys pop the top (keeps the inside cooler). We take our 8-year-old Austrailian Kelpie mix with us on all our trips (part of the reason we got a Westy). She loves it because she always wants to be a part of whatever we do.

Is there a simple way to create a booster seat so that, if the dog (not large) is harnessed into the seat belt, he can see out the windows. I'm planning a trip across country this summer in newly acquired (my first) Westie, so have been keenly reading all the tips, checklists, etc. Very interesting and helpful.
    Jane W

It's been about 20 years since I travelled with a dog, but we had no trouble. We raised horses and we would deliver them coast to coast. Willie, our Doberman Pinscher, traveled with us most of the time, and all of the time if I was alone. At that time we didn't have the restrictions on seatbelts we have now. Willie was trained to stay in the backseat, (we had a two seat pickup), in addition to feed, water and pit stops for your dog, you should make play times in order to run off the build up of energy. Willie liked to play keep away with her ball if there were two of us, we would throw the ball to each other and she would chase between us. If I was alone I threw the ball or other toys and she would retrieve. If you are going to travel or camp with your dog, you should socialized the dog with people and make sure you have complete control of your dog. We also traveled a lot with a Cocker Spaniel. He was very obedient, and loved people. He also would ignore other dogs.
    When my children were teenagers, we had a Boxer who traveled with us. We did a 6 day horse race from Deadwood, S.D. to Sidney, Ne. and camped out each night. There were 26 entries in the race and attending crew and spectators. Again I want to stress training of the dogs and their owners for a happy successful time for all.
    Sorry this is so long, but I love to talk about my dogs and my horses.
    vanagongranny

trick #1) Do not teach dachshund puppy to stand in your lap and drive Westfalia. Later on he can get on shelf behind your back and come over your shoulder while driving to get control of wheel again.