Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Questions About a SPECIFIC Vehicle Purchase

Default Help buying one tomorrow

Hi All

Hope you can help having thought about this for a long time I am choosing between 2 vans and need to decide tonight
    Both 93 T4 westfalia
    body on both are equal
    both have a great service history and are diesel
    both on original gearbox/clutch engine etc.

one is
    212,000 kms
    all seems good to me but
    blows black smoke for a second on start up
    followed by a puff of white smoke then fine clear smoke
    has 2 worn rear tyres equal but more than the fronts
    only significant work is rear ? springs
    missing a couple of headrests
    surfboard racks with locks

other is 2.4
    170,000 kms
    slightly better service history
    six months limited warrantee on engine from dealer
    has headrests etc
    surfboard racks with missing locks
    no smoke
    $2200 dollars more expensive (1000)

Any advice at all ?

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Default head gasket

please forgive me if this is in the wrong place, I know nothing about the internal workings of a vehicle so I didn't know which system a head gasket belongs to, so I had to post under a general heading.
    I am looking into buying a westfalia from a man in town and he said that the head gasket needs to be replaced, it does not run. I know people that are VERY handy, so I just wanted to know if this is something that if possible to do at home, and what would be needed to do this. Is it possible to find a replacement gasket?
    This is the information I have on it:
    It is a 1982 but has a 1984 jetta motor that rates at about 1800 cc. It ran when he got it. It needed a new head gasket put on. he started the job and just never found the time to complete it. has a water cooled engine.

any input? I just dont want to get myself into something I cant handle.

[Moderator note: This is an engine swap and not an OE engine. You'll have to combine info from both the Westy & Jetta Bentleys.]
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 08-06-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Moved; Guideline #1, #2.

Default The real Value of a westy like this

Hello Community Members.

I would like to ask for some help. I wanna buy a camper (1986, 270K). It looks good inside BUT has some serious rust.

I am not quite sure; Is it something you can fix, or is the van/chasis pretty much done.

Would love to hear from you *and your opinion. The owner asks for $6000 Dollars.

What do YOU think?
    Wishes from Marc-Oliver

[Moderator Note: See Guideline #9!]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 10-03-2009 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Wrong forum, thumbnailed pic, no email posted

IMHO $6,000, for a rusty Westy is tooooo much. Looking at the pics I wouldn't even consider buying it. There are so many around in good shape. My suggestion is don't buy a problem ESPECIALLY at that price! Keep looking and digging. I found an 84 Vanagon with NO rust, the $$$$ was higher BUT the one I bought is definitely a future collection item. I feel good about my purchase and my price. Can't wait to get on the road for two month trip mid November. Remember its 'IMHO'

The only thing I didn't get but would have liked to was a diesel. Oh well, would have been nice but it didn't happen.

Default Help me decide

Hello all and thanks for any advice you can give. I have been looking for an affordable westie for some time here in NE ohio. I found two great buses from the same seller.
    1. 1980 vanagon 7 passenger very clean from CA. repainted 15+ years ago. maybe 3 rust tiny rust spots at most. new tires, new exhaust, 117k

2. 1985 westfalia weekender 138k, decent shape, couple minor rust spots, mostly seem rust, couple minor dents, inside good condition, minor tears on couple seat pads, fridge and rear air not working

Now I was looking for a camper but the vanagon caught my eye because it looks much nicer, My reasoning to buy it would be to add a westfalia interior. My initial concern with the 1985 is its water cooled and that is very new to me, while no expert mechanic I have worked on earlier air cooled motors to some extent.

while not much the 1980 is $500 more which is slightly above my budget.

Thanks for your help

I'm currently looking into purchasing a new Westy and I have found several ones for sale that I like. The problem is I can't make up my mind.

1. One of them in particular is a 1982 with a 1.9L Jetta TDI engine in it with about 100,000km on the engine. Everything seems ok in the vehicle with the exception of some rust that I'm willing to sand down and get a fabricator/welder to fix it. The vehicle mechanically seems to be in great shape, there is a leaky fuel injector which I'd have to get replaced and the engine is smoking a bit of white smoke when the vehicle starts up, probably from the leaky fuel injector.

2. The second one is another 1982 with a 1.6L diesel engine that the guy has converted to take in bio diesel. The guy has taken an incredible amount of care to the vehicle, however there is a bit of fixing that needs to happen to the body because of some cracks on the panels of the vehicle (where the panels are separated ).

This Westy has a ton of internal fixes and upgrades done to it, the guy has basically completely reconstructed how the interior is mounted to make disassembly easier. As an example, he changed how the structuring of the seats and panels are setup so that it's all compartmentalized.

Again, I would probably be fixing the body of the vehicle and getting the vehicle painted.

3. There are a couple of other Westys for sale that are gas engines. All in great condition, however I was really hoping for a diesel engine since they seem to last longer and you get better mileage. Since this will also be my daily commuter as well as my distance driver, I figured that gas money does accumulate and I should take it as a factor.

I talked to the guy selling the 82 with the 92 TDI Jetta conversion and he mentioned that it needed a few repairs. I called one of the shops to get some estimates and it seemed a bit expensive.

A heater fan replacement was estimated at $700 bucks
    A windshield wiper motor replacement was estimated at $350 bucks
    Leaky fuel injector is leaky (but could be hose or seal) was estimated about $90 bucks each + $85 for service.

There is some rust on the body of it as well.

- Roberto
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 03-05-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Merged continuation of same post; removed "Is this worth $??? content -- Guideline #9; email blocked.

Default zero knowledge

Hi,

I've just joined and am thinking of buying a 74 westy pop up camper. I have zero knowledge and could use some help in figuring out what a good price range is and any other key tips/factors I should be considering when buying.

I have found one in the US; the pictures look good and it's exactly what I'm looking for. The asking price is $7800.

Type 4 motor ("AW" code)
    4 speed transmission, manual
    Was a dual carb, replaced with new single carburetor in April/09 (see work history below)
    No accidents, clean history

1st owner - bought new in 1974. Regular maintenance, put on 63,500 miles and parked it.
    2nd owner - bought in September of 2005 and put 13,500 miles on it - new tires put on at around 7,500 miles; sold it with 77,000 original miles in February of 2007.
    3rd owner - bought January/07 with 77,000 original miles on it as of this writing on 2/27/2010, the odometer reades 88,735.3 original miles

Work done by 3rd owner:
    02/2007 New CLUTCH, new heater hoses, etc.
    04/2007 New belts, new spark plugs, new filters, tune up
    06/2007 New BATTERY
    12/2008 Tune up, fix of vacuum leak, etc.
    02/2009 New electric FUEL PUMP, new clutch cable, etc.
    04/2009 New CARBURETOR installed (sinlge instead of double), etc.
    06/2009 New SHOCKS, install new REAR BRAKES
    03/2010 New FRONT BRAKES, new fuses

All Original Amenities
    Couch folds to sleeper, sleeps 2 people
    Pop top sleeps additional 2 people
    Cot sleeps small 5th person or provides extra storage
    Sink with pump
    Ice box

Complete with:
    original operation and maintenance manuals
    original upholstry and carpet
    custom-made curtains
    am/fm radio with CD player and box speakers

BONUS!
    Clean copy of the classic "How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot", 19th edition.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Katie
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 05-26-2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Removed "is this a good deal" type question Guideline #9)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678