Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Illinois

Chicago, NW suburbs

I just found a shop, in Arlington Heights, IL. Was looking for a local mechanic for my westy. A recommendation of a friend brought me to this small shop.

Foreign Car Clinic
    1604 W. Northwest Highway
    Arlington Heights, IL 60004
    847-255-1779

Tony is the guy in charge. When I stopped by, there were two westys in the lot waiting for service, and two more (projects) out back. He's very familiar with westys (esp vanagons) though I saw about 8 old bugs on the lot also.

I've visited him once, only, seems like a great guy, and will update as I get more experience with him.

[ 03-01-2002: Message edited by: Capt. Mike ]

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Transferred from other posts to consolidate by locale.

Northwest Chicago recommendation by Ken Ehlert

jonc Moderator Member # 37 posted 07-24-2000 11:32 PM

In the Northwest suburbs call Autobahn Motorwerks (Mundelein, IL) at 566-3430. They have worked on my VWs for years. Never a
    complaint.

Tell them Ken ('85 Westy) sent ya.

Chicago (City) Mechanics

trae Junior Member # 1270 posted 06-25-2001 01:16 PM

Euro Auto Plex are reasonable and experienced and can service all European makes. I just had a boatload of work done on my 1987 Westy and am very impressed. Their charges are reasonable & they will call around to get the best price on new or used parts & in this case they installed a number of parts I located via internet. Chicago near Northwest side, 773/235-0176.

Wagonwerks, Rock Island IL

chinacatdb Junior Member # 1759 posted 07-27-2001 06:54 PM

Do not use this guy. He dosen't return calls does shoddy work and charges far too much. I am very disapointed. I gave him two chances, figuering that maybe my first bad experience was isolated. Wrong! I have since made inquiries about this guy and all the foriegn parts guys strongly reccomend not using him. Just some friendly advice. I love my '73 Westy and want the guy who works on it to feel the same.

I just got my 73 Westy back from Foreign Car Clinic. They did an engine replacement and front end work. Tony is easy to deal with and has been helpful. Patience is a must as most parts need to be shipped.
    He must be doing something right. When I picked up my van there were four type 2's, a bug, a ghia, and a beautiful thing in his lot.

And my engine runs great!

Transferred to consolidate same locale.

WIZBANG Junior Member Posted March 24, 2006 09:08 PM

K & B Auto Service
    400 E Frontage Rd
    Shorewood, IL 60431
    815-741-1133

I live in Texas, bought a '73 westy on ebay, flew to Michigan and drove her home. She caught fire! on the interstate right around the Joliet exits. Put it out with Pepsi- (bought an extinguisher next day at Wallymart). State trooper said "there's a guy right across the service road who works on VW's". Met Klaus the next morning, has factory trained tech certificates framed on the office wall from 1961! He was in class the day I was born!
    GREAT service, Klaus does the work himself. A man of few words with a German accent! HIGHLY recommeded. Honest, fair pricing.

Copied from Dealer Policies forum.

<Gene & Heide> Posted February 20, 2001 01:55 AM

Springfield IL -- Green Toyota/VW replaced a fuel pressure regulator unnecessarily.