Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: livin' in my westy

Wow. I'm suprised to hear that a few students like myself can't find enough space for their books in their Westfalia. Obviously, vanagon owners are a smart bunch! I just stuffed well over a hundred school books into the luggage compartment under the fold down center seat. My '85 stores more books than my dorm room did. It would feel kind of ridiculous if I had to ask my mechanic to wade through piles of philosophy books to get at the engine. Seriously, if you need more books than I do, maybe you could try taking books out of the library instead. In New Haven,CT we have a great free community book center, and I pick up loads of free books, but when I get over the amount that will store in the compartment, I go back and give the books I'm all set with back to the community book. Recycle! I've already found the van to be the perfect spot to park, fold down the bed, cozy up and read with no distractions. Also, many university libraries feature lockers where you can store your research. I've got my research all posted online so I can access it anywhere without lugging around huge file folders. I'm also scanning all the manual info and repair history, insurance info, etc. I keep in the glove compartment just in case. But if you're working on your PhD or something, for heavens sake don't keep it in your camper. Reminds of the time an English paper I was writing was impounded in Baltimore in the back of a friend's car. My professor did not sympathize. How about a traveling Westfalia lending library so we could trade and share books on our journeys?

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

I am moving my lifestyle to a six month on six months off lifestyle... Alaska half the year and the wilderness the other half. As far as San Fran goes... I camped about ten minutes north on highway one for free... In Northern California and ESPECIALLY Oregon it is very easy to find places to pull over, off the beaten track, and camp. Get yourself a solar shower and enjoy your life. Oregon, particularily around Bend and Sisters (really in any mountainous region of the state). So many old logging roads...

I stopped paying the rent, and live full time in my 87 Westy. Right now I'm at my 'winter job' work computer (free!), and plugged into the office grid (free!) for tonight because a big snowstorm is moving in - everyone else I work with is at home in their $15 per night rental Tahoe rooms. I run both electric and propane heat this time of the year, and don't pop my top during Winter (use that space for storage). California and Oregon have 'snow parks' where I often stay ($25.00 season permit) for free with (free) snow removal. I ski for free (pass from my work) and often will stay at the ski area during big storms for first tracks. You don't need synchros here - I've never put on chains. I spent 2 months this past summer broken down with a blown head gasket living for free behing the high school in Telluride, CO where rent is as high as Manhatten! I have many tricks, and NEVER pey for camping (I leave before 7am in all California state and nat'l parks - including Yosemite!). I agree urban areas are tough, and have been victim to one armed robbery where my friend was shot (survived) and now carry a weapon. I also travel full time with a dog. So I guess my point is go for it - you'll learn the way - maybe I'll write a book some day! Enjoy your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by saskwatch View Post
    I agree and disagree with A. Cooper regarding the non-paying campers in State/National parks. I myself hate spending money...partly becuase I usually never have any. We all have to realize these days that it's really hard to get SOMETHING for NOTHING. I don't believe that ducking out before 7am is "wrong", let's just do our part in other ways...Pick up some trash...clean something...anything to divert the cost. that's my 2cents. Happy camping!
    But keep in mind that when one camps in a state park or national park, then ducks out early in the morning before a ranger comes around, he's consuming a public service for which he is not paying. A public service which all the rest of us tax- and fee-paying, law-abiding users must then subsidize. Our understaffed parks are sometimes unable to adequately enforce the rules, but that does not mean we are entitled to violate them. A six-pack isn't free just because the shopkeeper isn't looking.

[url=http://www.drpaulcaputo.com/]dentist tampa fl[/url]

Parvo Virus is doing the rounds in UK and because you have a young Dog, its immunity to catching viruses and infections will be a lot lower than a Adult Dog. So keep him in the Garden and train him out back till he has his second injection.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234