Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Travels in Mexico

I am a 60 year old retiree who is always open to travel adventures, and I am on my 2nd Westy and love it! Have an 89 and last year put in a new VW reman engine and lots of other new stuff so that I wouldn't have to worry--took my little pooch and a friend and we spent over 2 months traveling in Mexico--went from Brownsville TX south to Vera Cruz , then around the Yucatan peninsula, south to Belize, then across through Palenque, thru the Isthmus to Puerto Angel--then up the coast to Topolobampo, took the ferry over to La Paz, then up the Baja--great trip. Places I would really recommend: Campeche, the big market in Merida, camping on Isla Mujeres (NOT Cancun!),the campground right by Palenque ruins, Melaque/San Patricio on the west coast--go there on St. Patrick's Day--they celebrate it for l0 days, and the people there are great! On Baja, nothing beats camping dry on Conception Bay-- Stop at Guerrero Negro and go out in a boat to pet the whales in Scammon's Lagoon-- [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Study some Spanish before you go--I went to school in Mexico, then came home and left for my trip--only in the tourist places do they speak English--Two women and a pup and we didn't have one negative experience in over two months! Avoid caravans of Americans like the plague--35' motorhomes--23 or 24 at a time, all pulling into a camping area, buying up all the water, ice, etc. --they are the new ugly americans there--get to know the Mexicans--they are wonderful people [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Have fun--we did!!! ednamae and friends ednamae@willapabay.org

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Susan M. Hall Junior Member posted July 01, 2001 04:59 PM

Westy and love it! Have an 89 and last year put in a new VW reman engine and lots of other new stuff so that I wouldn't have to worry--took my little pooch and a friend and we spent over 2 months traveling in Mexico--went from Brownsville TX south to Vera Cruz , then around the Yucatan peninsula, south to Belize, then across through Palenque, thru the Isthmus to Puerto Angel--then up the coast to Topolobampo, took the ferry over to La Paz, then up the Baja--great trip. Places I would really recommend: Campeche, the big market in Merida, camping on Isla Mujeres (NOT Cancun!),the campground right by Palenque ruins, Melaque/San Patricio on the west coast--go there on St. Patrick's Day--they celebrate it for l0 days, and the people there are great! On Baja, nothing beats camping dry on Conception Bay-- Stop at Guerrero Negro and go out in a boat to pet the whales in Scammon's Lagoon--
    Study some Spanish before you go--I went to school in Mexico, then came home and left for my trip--only in the tourist places do they speak English--Two women and a pup and we didn't have one negative experience in over two months! Avoid caravans of Americans like the plague--35' motorhomes--23 or 24 at a time, all pulling into a camping area, buying up all the water, ice, etc. --they are the new ugly americans there--get to know the Mexicans--they are wonderful people Have fun--we did!!! ednamae and friends ednamae@willapabay.org

SweetPea Junior Member posted May 12, 2002 12:09 PM

Roadtrips in Mexico

I've also done roadtrips in Mexico with a girlfriend and my daughter - two women and a child - we had a BLAST and felt totally safe. Interestingly enough, I totally believe it was my (then 3 year old) daughter's presence that kept us safe - we were "mothers" and therefore, respectable, in the Latin culture. Also took a honeymoon roadtrip - the starter went out in our bus and we had to pushstart it everywhere we went - our fondest memories!! There is just nowhere as wonderful for a roadtrip as Mexico!

Capt. Mike

Transferred to consolidate same locale.

D-shima Member posted September 20, 2003 04:58 AM

Hola Westy heads-

I was hoping to get some advice about getting to the Tijuana International Airport either from San Ysidro or the Otay border crossing.

Really hoping that someone can give me some pointers and possible directions to make navigating easier. I do have a couple small maps i got off the net, BUT would take a persons first hand experience any day.

thanks for any help in advance-

d-shima

Is one way better or more convenient than the other?

nosliwmit Member posted August 18, 2000 06:03 PM

Howdy campers!

My wife and I are planning an extended trip (maybe 9 months) in our Westy starting next spring or summer. We would like to spend some time in Mexico and wonder if anyone out there has any cautions, suggestions etc. We plan to cover the U.S. and Canada extensively (did this for 3 months a couple years ago--16,000 mi--but there's still lots to see!).

We also hope to spend some time in Alaska (ferry up/drive down or vice versa) and would love some hints regarding that journey too. We tend to stay in nat'l and state parks when possible, though we've spent many nights snoozing in truck-stops, rest areas, parking lots etc. We stopped at KOAs or Good Sams about every other day to use showers (they typically charged about $3 each).

Gary B. Dixner Member posted August 20, 2000 05:56 PM

Hi, My daughter drove her 87 Westy to Creel in the Copper Canyon area. I will ask her for information and forward it to you. We worried about her the whole time but she did fine and loved it. A couple of things I remember: It really helps if you speak Spanish. Also, advised not to drive at night especially if you have the later model with rectangular headlights. They are notoriously under-lighted. Why VW thought we need mood lighting along a dark highway is beyond me. Check out Capt'n. Mike's list of things to take along. It's a very thoughtful and comprehensive list. I think it's in the "Tips" section of this archive.

Safety tips for trip to Mexico

maxime@moai.com, Junior Member, 01-04-2001 06:51 PM

I'm planning a 2 months trip to Mexico and my 83 Westfalia and 2 kids. I'd like to get advices from people that have done this before on things like :

- Where is it safe to park and sleep ?
    I read that it was not safe to park on the side of the road, is the hotel the only alternative ?

- In case of breakdown, is it hard to get it fixed ? I saw posts from 70s westies owners that said that parts were impossible to get in Mexico, does this hold for
    an 83? Should I bring any spare parts ?

- Any gotchas that others may have discovered, specific to travel to Mexico with VW van camping (that typical travel literature doesn't cover)...

Gary B. Dixner, Member, 01-04-2001 08:47 PM

Is your 83 water cooled or air cooled? Whichever, you are advised to read as much as possible in this site about preparation for a long trip. My daughter drove her 87 to Mexico last year and enjoyed it very much. She crossed over at Presidio, Texas. Said instructions at the Mexican border station were confusing and she ended up having to turn back at a check point, after driving several miles, to deal with paper work. As a result, she was late and drove at night. It's very dark and this is not recommended. It helps if you speak Spanish. She stayed at a KOA in, I think, Chihuaha. You might want to look at a KOA handbook for locations and also a Woodall directory. It's NOT a good idea to camp along the road. Check out "Roll Call" too. There may be some helpful Westy owners where you are headed. There are also some insurance problems. Discuss this with your agent. Capt. Mike has some good tips on what spare parts to take all over this site. My daughter also said it was pretty cold at night. As I recall she went in the Spring. Have fun but plese be careful. If I think of anything else I will post later. I asked my daughter to post her experience for others on this site but I don't think she ever did. She has a lot going on in her life.

nobadays Junior Member posted January 05, 2001 10:28 PM

Gary,

My wife and I have traveled quite extensively throughout Mexico and much of Central America pmail me at d.welch@eudoramail.com and I will answer questions regarding camping, travel etc. there. Don Welch

83westymike Junior Member posted December 12, 2001 06:45 AM

My wife and I spent several months in Mexico a couple of years ago. It was before we had our 83 Westy though so we backpacked/ used public transport throughout our trip. I would agree that camping beside the road is probably not a very good idea but most motels will rent you a space within their courtyards. Another thing to consider is from time to time simply staying in the motels. I know that staying in the Westy is way more fun but the motel rooms can be ridiculously cheap. We spent between four and fifteen dollars a night for rooms that were clean and safe, not five star mind you but sufficient for rest.

Get the book "A Peoples Guide To Mexico" It's fantastic and very enjoyable to read. It describes in detail the kind of trip you are planning.

Have fun! Mexico is great and the people can be some of the kindest on earth.

P.S. If you end up in Iowa you're welcome to park in our driveway.

Dochockin Junior Member posted February 22, 2004 06:07 PM

Greetings,

I too am planning on heading to Mexico next winter in an 83 Westy with my girlfriend and our dog. Learning to speaking Spanish is the best preparation one can make. As for camping, side of the road is not always a bad idea. Try asking locals (especially farmers) if you can stay in their fields or courtyards.

I can speak with some authority about this because the last time I traveled through Mexico was by bicycle in the Witner of 94/95. I was travelling with a friend and we had no problems. We even spent nights camping in the parks in the center of villages.

Our worst experiences were invariably caused by inconsiderate Yanks in big RVs that never slowed down or gave us any room as they passed us. The Mexicans, on the other hand, were always respectfull and supportive of us.

[This message was edited by Capt. Mike on February 23, 2004 at 06:07 AM.]