Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Wipers and Washers

Default Windshield Wiper Size

'87 Westfalia

I've looked everywhere (this site, Bentley, etc.) but can't find out what size windshield wipers I should put on the front window. What is the correct size? (I just bought my '87 and it has an 18 inch on one side and a 16 inch on the other.)
    Last edited by jimmy60; 03-12-2009 at 09:04 PM.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

I have the same problem with my 1990. Any suggestion?

[Moderator Note: Guideline #8! Your dealer's parts fiche will tell you what is correct. OE was 450mm (~18") front & 400 mm (~16") rear.]
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 07-21-2009 at 08:34 AM.

I had to replace the wiper motor in our '78. Same problem as in VWMIKE78's 2002 post - the gear stripped off the shaft. I was lucky enough to find one in a wrecking yard, and installed it.

Two questions:
    I installed the motor with the arm in the position shown in the Bentley, and the wipers wiped the nose panel instead of the windshield. I re-installed the arm at 180 degrees from the recommended position and they wiped normally. Any idea why?

I hear a loud hum when the motor is running but the engine is not. It sounds like too much of the wiper motor noise is being transmitted through the mounting. Did I over-tighten it? I didn't notice any torque figures for the wiper motor in Bentley.

7/26/09: At the time I last posted, the instrument panel was out.with the panel back in place, the wiper motor sounds normal.

I still don't know why I had to install the arm 180 degrees from the recommended position. No point worrying about it if the windshield gets wiped, I guess.

[Moderator note: The one you found at a wrecking yard may not have been an exact OE for your year & model. The wiper has an internal position and park circuit and that one may have been set for another situation. The Bentley acknowledges numerous changes over the model years and the photos may be for another (usually older) model.]
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 07-26-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Continuation same post

Default Poor performance of whindshield washers

'82 Westy Diesel

I have never had good windshield washers since buying the westy 7 years ago, mostly there is a dripple that somewhat hits the windshield. I am going to be doing some winter driving so I decided to overhaul the system.

Firstly I replaced the washer motor (GoWesty) thinking this would help - alas no, but I now have a spare!

So today I dropped the washer water tank, cleaned it throughly - so much dirt! and filled it with a mixture of floor cleaner, vinegar and water. I cleaned the jet holes out with a saftey pin and cleaned the system out.

After much unplugging and 2 gallons of water/cleaning fluid I have a very functional set of washer jets!

Mike

[Moderator Note: One tends to forget the detergent and anti-freeze agents in commercial washer solution leave a deposit. Methyl alcohol (common ingredient) absorbs water and evaporates both, leaving the gunk of the detergents. Cleaning the tank and flushing the system every so often is a good idea.]

Default No power to wiper pump

1991 Westy
    All aspects of the windshield washer work, except for the pump. When I pull back on the wiper lever on the steering column the wipers go through their three cycles and stop. Dropped the resovior and checked for power, none to the pump. Of course found this out after buying and installing a new pump. Looking for a little direction and my next step.
    thanks

the front wipers and the fan for the heater stop working on my 86 syncro. Fuses are fine, i change the relay but no difference. Tested fan and wiper motors and both work with direct current. Any suggestions? thank you.....rain started yesterday!

Insufficient information! The wipers & heater blower do not use the same relay. The relay in the wiper system is for the intermittant mode, although the juice for the moter passes through it -- it only activates the relay on the intermittent mode. The rear wiper relay is not related to the front wiper circuits. On the blower, are you getting 12v to the + terminal on the blower switch (Bentley 97.99 circuit 149)? On the wiper control stalk, are you getting 12v to the T terminal (circuit 155)? The feed for both is off the "igntion on" X circuit. Do you have failure of any other ignition-on circuits, such as rear defroster, main headlights or electric windows? Both of the mentioned circuits will only have 12v if the ignition is on. Older Vanagons had a tendency for the ignition-on electricl section of the ignition switch to wear out with old age. This is the plastic part at the very bottom of the key/lock assembly. See "Ignition switch . . ." topic.

Default wipers problem

Thank you for ur response Capitan!.I'm new member and hope i put this in the right place....after your comments I will bet that my problem is that the heater fan & wipers are not getting any juice from the ignition switch. Can it be a bad ignition switch? is there a way to test?
    THANK you again,
    TeCo

Yes, pick any circuit from your Bentley (required to use site) that is only on when the ignition switch is on and see if power is leaving that fuze. A simple 12v test light is adequate. If none are receiving current, then it is the igntion switch which is covered in that forum. The ignition switch does NOT send current to each item; it sends it to that portion of the fuze box feeder. Thus if it is the ignition switch, it will be all of those items.

1987 Westfalia 2 wheel drive. Reference Bentley wiring diagrams. Windshield Wiper problem.
    After removing dash to replace heater core and fan, I decided to replace the wiper switch also. After the new switch is in place the wipers would not park. When I turned the wipers off they would stop wherever they were on the Windshield. After several frustrating attempts to troubleshoot the problem one of the wires on the connector fell out of the connector. It was supposed to connect to Terminal 53. Bent keeper tab out on wire reinserted in connector. Reconnected to switch. No more problem.
    Always, always, always make sure the ends of the wires are firmly inserted in the connectors first.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456