Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Use of GL-5 transmission fluid in GL-4 spec transmissions

I haven't seen any VW specs allowing 75W-90, thus I'd go slow. In what I presume is a hot climate (AZ), I think you may be going a little lite. Remember the characteristics of synthetic (described under the Oils topic in TIPS) is that the 90W required of VW is not achieved through viscosity, but through additives that "protect like." Thus a 75W-90, whether synthetic or not, might be a little thin. It might be worth examining in very cold climates, but regardless, synthetics do NOT allow longer change intervals in the VW, despite their hype and marketing.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Since this thread is a little old, an update would be appropriate. You can hardly buy GL4 fluid anymore, especially in synthetic. GL5 can be used, but only if it has an MT-1 specification OR it specifically mentions GL4 compatible. The MT-1 spec apparently is compatible with the metals used in VW syncros.
    Rich

Redline make a GL4 synthetic transmission/transaxle oil that many people use in their Vanagons. I have been runing their MT-90 for two years. In my 84 Westy I find it very smooth when the trans is cold but no noticeble difference from the old oil I took out when it gets to operatinig temps. I have 135 000 mile on my Westy.
    Pascal
    '84 Westy

I realize that it is now 9 years after the last post but I was doing some research on GL4/GL5 ratings for transmission fluid and found this very informative article: http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

I use SWEPCO 201 in all my VWs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12