Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Propane Tank; Repair/replace

Make sure the shops you're talking to understand the leak is in the LINE, not the tank itself (it is, isn't it?). Any reputable shop should be able to turn the valve off at the regulator and fix the line without danger. But if they think your TANK is leaking, with no way to shut it off, they may be justifiably fearful of working on it.

Some shops simply don't like the Westy: too low to fill or work on easily, too unusual to be easily understood, too small to be profitable. The guy at one RV shop grunted and groaned and made a big fuss about filling my tank. "Five gallons," he said when he was done, and I paid it. But something in his eye didn't look right, so when I got home I checked my Owner's Manual to learn that the tank's total capacity is only THREE gallons. The jerk must have added on a 'hassle surcharge'. Some shops have outright refused to fill it.

Get it to a decent RV-repair shop, and precisely explain the problem. You cannot be the first guy to have a leaky LP line ... Last resort: read the posts here regarding how to drain the tank, THEN take it to the shop for service, empty.

Good luck!

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

My funniest story about filling my tank - sorry this has little relavance to this thread - but somewhat to A Cooper's story.

Anyhoo, I had been using the propane and had no idea how much I had used, so I went to get it topped up - $1.35 Canadian!!!! I think that was about 3 litres!!

No complaints from the guy filling it!

Mike

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

Replace original tank with GoWesty Manchester tank.
    Eartheyes Member posted May 18, 2003 09:06 PM

I just received a new updated Manchester propane tank from GoWesty. When installing I noticed that the regulator is much longer, forcing to bend the hoses to fit...a bit of a hassle, but doable. But the major problem I noticed that could be a HUGE problem when filling is that the purge valve is MUCH higher than my original. The people who barely are willing to fill our Westfalia tanks are truly going to gripe, maybe even refuse to fill these tanks when they have to reach up, beyond sight, to feel for the purge valve. Also, the emiting gas will spurt into the under side of the chassis. Didn't Manchester take into account the location of these tanks? I think a email to Manchester is in order, as well to GoWesty.

Addition to my updated tank gripe....

Sorry, forgot to mention that my new updated Manchester tank from GoWesty was for my 82 Westfalia. Yes, it was the correct tank ordered, should be the same tank for all Vanagon models.

Following are replys to a mispost that were worth savings.

Mike Robinson Member posted July 06, 2003 10:36 AM

I would check and see if it really needs replacing. Take it to a place that checks and recertifies this tank - like Superior Propane. I am sure they will replace the main value and send you on your way.

I have an '82 with a tank that was very rusty. I painted it with POR-15 (don't belive the rust stopping properties) and I have never been questioned when filling it. I do intend to get it checked at the end of the year.

To replace the tank - should you have too, can be a bit of a challange. I was looking at buying an '84 that along with other stuff wrong with it had a 'decertifed tank' What I suspect this means is when you go to get a fill they connect the propane and check for leaks before opening the small overflow value (I think) I looked into getting another tank $1000 CDN from a VW (for just the tank) Then I talked to a pile of propane fitters who said they could not fit a tank underneith because of clearance etc - but could put one inside. The bill would be over $1000.

The real solution would be to buy a tank from www.busdepot.com 80-91 Westy, Original Equipment Tank With Internal Fill Valve $219.95 US P/N 253070601D. I have not looked at the installation but I understand it to be attached to the westy by 4 bolts under the carpet, then get an RV shop to do the propane connections.

Hope this helps

Mike

simscaw15 Junior Member posted July 06, 2003 12:46 PM

I live in Vancouver and just recently had the propane tank replaced on my '82. I called a number of places and the only luck I had was at M-R-O RV Services in Burnaby. (604) 431-7446. Damn expensive, $1350.00 Cdn but there didn't seem to be any other option. Another place I had reccomended to me was Delta Propane and Auto Repairs in Surrey 591-3804. He quoted me a lower price but after four months I gave up on him as he said he had tanks on back order but they hadn't arrived. When I was in Jasper last summer the propane place I stopped at wouln't fill my tank as the 80% valve was leaking and when I took it into M-R-O they checked it out and said the whole tank was gone. (the label was rusted off which was an indicator for them (?) They stuck exactly to their estimate and I feel totally secure in it's safety. The tank cost $685.00, $42.50 for the LPG regulator, $5.99 for a cover, $8.50 for shop supplies and the rest was labour. Good Luck on your search. Let me know if you find anything cheaper. Hopefully I won't need to know for another 10 years!

Cheers Peterpcawsey@shaw.ca

icarus Member posted July 07, 2003 01:46 PM

A simple solution, instead of replacing the existing tank is to install a extend-a-stay fitting before the regulator. (I have posted info on other l/p threads) This fitting allows you to use a portable tank, as small as 3 gallons, as big as 5 gallons. When you stop, just plug in the portable tank and light appliances. You never have to fill the existing tank if you don't want to. You can also use the fitting to transfer l/p from the portable to the on board, without having to use the dealer for filling. It won't fill the onboard full, but it will fill with gravity. I use a ex-tenda-stay with my on board to make it last longer. On the other hand changing out the onboard tank is not very hard to do. The regualtor screw in with reverse threads, and gas lines are simple copper flair fittings.

Icarus

For dapichette's problem, I recommend a little shop in southern NJ, south of Philly and a few miles east of I95, just a few hours' drive north from DC-- they replaced my regulator/lines for $24, parts included (standard RV tank regulator, a little longer than the original, but they didn't complain a bit), and didn't waste any of the propane in the process. If you want the name/address, I'll dig it up. Since then I've also decided to get a new Manchester tank, and had my local propane gas supplier install it for $20, plus a promise to refill it there every time I left for a new adventure. I had used up all the propane from my old rusty tank before the procedure, to make it all a little easier. In fact, I made dinner in the van for 4 nights in a row, instead of using my own kitchen!

I get -- and they're usually cut under our "no parts/shops wanted ads" policy -- so many posts of members complaining they are being overcharged for either tanks or services and wanting them cheaper. Judging from the attitude of some of those posts, I have to wonder how many go into the shop or dealer with that same chip on their shoulder and then are surpised when nobody wants to go out of their way to help them.

I, too, have had only favorable services from LP dealers including some 'no charge' adjustments or tips. I've never had a problem getting a tank filled anywhere in the country or Canada. I know that reasonable priced proper replacement tanks are available. Often it's appearance, approach and expectations.

[Reasonable isn't always in the eye of the buyer but whether the price if fair and competetive -- yea, I'd like one for $50, too, but it ain't gonna happen!]

I'll pass on a parable. Recently, a friend of mine and I went to buy a 20' container for club storage. We chatted with the general manager about common interests and acquintances, antique cars, ships and the used container market, which we had the good sense to research a bit before coming in. We got a refurbished and freshly painted unit for $500 plus $95 exact spot delivery (they weigh 2 tons!). While we were writing the check, a loud-mouth, know it all came in, talking down to them. Without blinking, they quoted him $2000 for what would be a worse unit than ours (we'd already looked over all the stock).

Hello, mouth. Meet foot. See guideline #8. It applies to outside vendors, too.
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 01-13-2009 at 07:37 AM.

CANADA ONLY

I talked to 'Superior Propane' about getting my tank recertified today. There is no recertification for permanently mounted tanks on vehicles. The westy tank is NOT the same as your BBQ tank. They said you should get it pressure tested every year but this is up to you. The other advice was to keep the rust off it and the paint on it.

Hope this helps the Canadians out there.

Mike

I don't know if I had just gotten lax on my inspections or a recent trip into winter salt reactivated things, but I got a nasty shock during my recent major 150K service. I found my LP tank's manufacturer's plate lifting off and obvious rust underneath. Since I still had some LP in the tank, I wasn't really wanting to remove the tank. The rest of the tank looked excellent and I found the manufacturer's plate was just tack-welded at the corners. 2 where free and the other 2 marginal, so I pulled the plate with just a few taps.

The back of the plate was badly pitted with black, active rust underneath several layers of scale. Even my cabinet blaster with the harshest abrasive had a hard go of it. The back is now rough and irregular.

That degree of pitting got me worried about the tank. I had hoped the rust was all from the plate since the tank looked so good elsewhere. I took Volksrat outside and sandblasted the little square where the tag had been attached. Although it looked bad with several layers of scale, most was from the plate. The tank itself is pitted but cleaned up nicely. I used a premium etching primer and then a good epoxy enamel color coat.

I got lucky. Another season and I'm sure the tank pitting could have risked tank integrity. I'm not sure how or if I'll ever attempt to reattach. Maybe a nice thick layer of JB Weld? Right now, I recreated the tag as a label and laminated it on at a point less likely to be damaged to see if that works, and saved the original data plate. If you download the tank label, PLEASE use the blank -- do not jeopradize yourself by using my finished one and thus falsifying your tank data.

But all you Westy owners, go inspect your tanks, especially around that builder's plate, where fittings like the mounting ears are welded on, and around the valve necks. I keep flashing back to the picture of the burned out RV on the AK H'way (posted in tech drawings), and am thankful I at least spend some time under my vehicle doing some thorough inspections and caught mine in time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 01-13-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Update; add pics

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

Dan 202 Junior Member posted September 06, 2004 11:21 AM

I recently purchased an 84 Westfalia Vanagon. 70K orig miles, used mostly in the southwest US, no damage, no rust. Having never owned a Westy before, I am trying to absorb as much information about it as I can. I found one disturbing article on the www.gowesty.com web site regarding the LP tank and why it should be replaced; age, legislation passed in 1/03 about an autostop port, etc. But this is the only reference to such problems I can find. Are these valid concerns?? Or perhaps someone is trying to market a $300 LP assembly upgrade??

Regards,
    -Dan

Not downplaying the seriousness or consequences of a bad or leaking tank, articles about 'terminal life span' of LP tanks is more a myth than reality.

The reality of when to replace an LP tank is based on condition, fittings, damage and corrossion. If your tank looks near-new, has no corrossion, all the fittings are in good condition and properly working, and no leaks, a new tank is probably a waste of money. Most LP tanks from the Type II's (another 10 years older than yours), and even earlier on the many van conversions before VW went LP, are still going strong.

If still unsure, you can remove an LP tank, remove fittings and inspect inside, but that's extreme unless you have other symptoms. Tanks can be cleaned if just contaminated. They can actually be presssure tested but stick to an LP pro for these tasks.

Most tanks due for replacement have been abused, allowed to rust, or damaged from accident. Even bad fittings is usually repairable on a sound tank. Retrofitting tanks has its own topic.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast