Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speedometer/odometer questions

Transferred from another post to consolidate similar topics.

Wild clicking noise under dash when starting off

digitalmantis Junior Member # 1597 posted 08-27-2001 09:49 PM

On my 90 Westy when I take off in first as I let out the clutch there is this wild clicking noise from under the dash. Keeps going as I move into 2nd gear. It sounds like an electrical relay gone wild.
    I forced myself to learn the Bentley electrical diagrams (which are quite brilliant and elegant, I must say) and I have methodically removed some relays but the noise persists.

Any ideas out there? Anyone ever had this problem.

Laurence Smith

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

This sounds much more like a speedometer cable problem than an electrical problem. There isn't anything in the clutch operation that would activate any relays.

That it occurs when you start out and even continuies into 2nd gear before dying off points to a speedometer cable problem. The cable comes up through the floorboards under the dash and goes into the EGR/O2 sensor service module. From there, a 2nd cable runs up to the dash. The module is nothing more exotic than a counter so internally, it is turning gears and probably something is loose, ready to strip or perhaps ready to trip (Does so at 30K intervals.)

Solution!
    About the gear/shaft that slip out of the odometer, simply push it back and glue (epoxy) a small plastic part (not on the gear but on the circuit board) on the gear side that will hold it there, leave a small gap (1/32) and put some grease. Mine is still working after 8000 miles.

Ben (87GL)

Is there a recent address and phone number for VDO/Yazaki? The listing in previous messages is no longer in service.

With help from Capt. Mike I have the address for getting your Westfalia speedometer repaired.
    NSI, Inc
    1336 Oakland Avenue
    Greensboro, NC 27403
    336-273-2881
    www.speedchk.com

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

sandeandlisa Junior Member posted January 19, 2004 01:09 PM

Oh Captain, my Captain:

(Dead Poets Society, just in case you missed the reference). First, let me say THANK YOU for this website. It is very extensive and many questions are answered here for newbies like my partner and myself. I took your 'mantra' seriously "Most questions are answered if you spend time looking at the various areas". Here is our question that I have not found an answer for after hours of searching. Please do not get bent out of shape that I am asking this in the wrong 'area'. It is a silly question and I am not sure to which area it belongs: The guy that we are buying our 1984 Westie from is emphatic that it has 700,000 miles on it. The odometer reads 717542 Is the last number a tenth of a mile (as we think) or really a full regualr mile (as the guy is telling us?) I couldn't find the 'specs' for the odometer anywhere on your website. Please let me know! It is not going to effect the sale, as we have already done all of the other footwork needed. We just want to KNOW! Thanks, Sande

icarus Member posted January 19, 2004 03:24 PM

It seems as though it might be a simple as driving the car a mile or two and watching the odometer roll over?

sandeandlisa Junior Member posted January 20, 2004 10:30 PM

It does seem that simple doesn't it? However, you should have known it wouldn't be or I wouldn't have posted the question....
    I am not currently in the same state as the vehicle. Ah! If life were only simple... So, my question remains. Does someone have an answer? Please let me know. Sande

On the main odomoter, the numbers are whole miles, thus the 717542 is 717,542 miles. The trip odometer carries the 10ths. When a VDO (VW OE supplier) odometer carries 10ths, it almost always reversed colors, i.e. Black or red number on white roller vs. the normal white number on black roller. I don't remember the year, but US specs have required the 6 digit odometer for many years -- back into the 70s I believe. Speedometer replacements "should" carry the two following stickers. One for the door jam and another for the service log book.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 05-29-2008 at 03:18 PM.

I wanted to add my speedometer experience to the site.

The first sign of problem was a wild movement of the speedo arm, which after a while resumed its normal behavior.

The next time I drove the vehicle the speedo did not work. The mileage also did not change while driving.

The logical thought would be that the cable had broken, but interestingly enough on inspection it was intact. What had happened was the square drive of the cable end (at the wheel) had rounded as the bearing dust cap square end (that the cable gets its drive from) had rounded over the years, so a replacement of both was necessary.

Replacing a speedo cable is basically as per bently. A couple of tips that may help include; when removing the cable pull it up from the dash end "replace the opposite way; and removing the headlight assembly (4 screws) to get better access to the grommet when refitting. Pushing the speedo cable into the hub I thought would be a pig" but went really well!.

Hope this helps

Mike
    '82 diesel
    Last edited by Capt. Mike; 05-29-2008 at 05:38 AM.

Transferred to consolidate same topic.

prAna Junior Member posted June 30, 2004 01:22 PM

I have an '84 Vanagon ASI Riviera that has, what I believe to be, a speedometer issue. As an example, my speedo reads 60 when I am only going about 50mph. And the odometer rolls too fast also, meaning it will turn a mile when I have only travelled about .85 miles. (These numbers are not exact, but close!)

We have standard size tires, a 4 speed manual, and no other modifications that I am aware of.

Is there a calibration that I can do? Is this common with a 20 year old speedo cable? Thanks for any help.

Speedometer error is not a cable failure. Per Bentley 90.10-90.11 your cable is driven by the FL hub.

For the hub to be driving the speedometer head at a speed greater than the wheel is impossible. And if there was a drive problem, it would result in a jerky needle.

VW speedometers are not known for their accuracy. 2-4 mph or 3-5% are common enough errors. Most are on the high side, so at least you won't get a ticket.

Speedometer and odometer error are NOT related. Although driven by the same cable, the internal gearing and thus accuracy are not related.

Speedometer error is generally a result of age, dirt, loss of lubricant and very often, a change in magnatism within the head. The needle drive is, in effect, and electromagnetic response.

If you have the standard 185R14r or 185R14D tires and are experiencing 20% speed and 15% mileage errors, you're probably due for service. First, get it calibrated. You may find your 'estimates' are way off. Most major cities have a speedometer shop that will calibrate them for a reasonable fee. Heck, call your police and ask them if they know a place.

I have my own federally licensed "police' radar and calibrate my various cars with every tire change. The cars vary tremendously. I have them from 15% slow (antique truck) up to a 10% fast (antique car). My 4x4 Westy -- and all I've had before -- run a little fast. This one about 5%.

The error isn't as important as knowing what it is and it being consistent. Calibration services will give you a card showing error at various speeds. VDO makes VW speedometers and their contact info is given above. They have contract service centers that will overhaul them. If calibration establishes it's outside what you're willing to live with, Nichols in Greensboro NC has a good reputation and been in the business for 20-30 years.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast