Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Propane leaks

Default Thanks for the tip Mike

Thanks for steering me to the gowesty article. I was looking here for tips on repairing my '78 system but after reading this I am ordering a new tank. It would totally bum my day to be surrounded by a haz-mat team!

John

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

I took mine to a local propane shop. They looked it over and said it was OK. Good enough for me. Reinstalled using silicone tape on all threads. Everything's tight and works great.

Went to a Uhaul station to refill the propane tank for the first time ever last week. The tech said he had done VW before and I yielded to his experience until while he was filling, he got about 2 gallons into it when the propane started blowing out the brass elbow release valve on the bottom of the fill valve. He stopped filling and then noticed there was a pin hole also blowing propane out and it did not stop until it was empty again an hour later. We had the side valve open during filling but reasoned that salt corrosion could have contributed to pinhole? I live one block off ocean but have never had any problems with tank. Does anyone know if this pinhole which looks engineered to be there by the way being perfectly centered is supposed to be there? The tech said he could have blown out the gasket but it was only coming out the pinhole and the release valve on bottom when opened. Thank you!

I guess a schematic/technical drawing of the valve component could tell me if that hole is a blow out or supposed to be there?

I am the the uk, and have a '78 westy bay, (Californian in origin). My stop tap seems bent at the stem, and when I shut it off today, liquid LPG hissed from the stem seal. Also it has had a couple of episodes of the hob flames going really low, like you've run out of propane, only to be fine later. For the sake of safety, I would like a new tap and regulator together. Who do I buy from???? Help would be gratefully received! . . . Tim

scroll though here there's propane tank valves.i found a place that sells BBQ stuff fhat has the propane parts in portland ore,but i don't know about UK. http://community-2.webtv.net/VanStuff/VanagonWestfalia/
    85 westy auto with tiico conversion

I hear and smell propane when I turn on the valve. I had the tank filled yesterday. I took off the plastic cover to uncover the exterior valves and discovered the leak is on the first valve. There was no leak last fall. Is there a pressure switch inside the valve that could be stuck? If I wrap on it with a small tool might it unstick?

Quote Originally Posted by KentL View Post
    I hear and smell propane when I turn on the valve. I had the tank filled yesterday. I took off the plastic cover to uncover the exterior valves and discovered the leak is on the first valve. There was no leak last fall. Is there a pressure switch inside the valve that could be stuck? If I wrap on it with a small tool might it unstick?
    To the question you saved 'til last.... yeah, give it a f' in good whack, but make sure you're stood in the next parking lot when it kicks off. Buy another one, they're available from a few oulets, but remember to drain the tank before you unscrew it.....good luck

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123