Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New to the Westy Cult

Default New to the Westy Cult

Hello all,

I am 100% new to what I'm finding out is a very passionate group of people that love their westys and old school VW's.

I have fantasized about getting a VW van since I was a kid. When I was 15, I begged my dad for help to get a VW Bus for my 16th birthday that was for sale in my neighborhood. Unfortunately, and unsurprisingly, my dad didn't help me get the car, but my obsession with the type of vehicle has remained. Over time, my taste for the vans has grown from the old 'flower child' buses to the newer camper versions. A few years ago, I decided that the Westfalia was the kind of VW van I wanted.

I'm 27 now, and I'm nearing the end of the lease on my car and am looking to make the big leap into the wonderful world of westys!

I'd be lying to you if I didn't tell you I had an ulterior motive. It's also been my dream to do a massive, 4-6 month long road trip across the US (it was originally 12 months, but life's obligations got in the way), and I really want to do it in a Westfalia.

I've perused your other categories and threads, and I have been looking at these vans on Craigslist, Ebay, GoWesty, and Samba for a long time now to try and get an idea of what the norms and patterns are when it comes to how much the vans should cost, what kind of repairs and improvements they should have, and what I should be looking for as far as a seller goes.

Full disclosure, I don't know ANYTHING about cars. I don't have much interest in them in general, and it's only when it comes to specific cars, and Westfalias are far above and beyond anything else, that I care to know anything about them. I've never been one of those people with a dream car, who drools at the Lamborghinis or BMWs or whatever else; my heart has always been set on a very small list of old cars, with Westfalias at the #1 spot.

Point is, even though I don't know squat about cars, I've read enough descriptions, asked enough questions to Google, and kept my eye on what is normal to think I have SOME idea of what I'm looking at. But, the bottom line is that I am creative by profession, and have had no reason to ever get into the mechanics of how this stuff works, so often times I feel lost when evaluating whether or not to consider getting this Westy over another one. My research has, however, convinced me that what I'm looking for is a 87-91 Westfalia, pop top camper etc, that can survive a trip basically starting from Los Angeles and looping around the entire country to land back in Los Angeles. I've also decided that since I don't know anything about this stuff, that it might be worth it for me to spend a little extra cash for a Westfalia that has been loved and cared for to death by its previous owner, as I won't be having to making some of those incredibly specific repairs and upgrades that at the end of the day, I would only be shooting in the dark or going by the word of an auto-mechanic when deciding what to do. I've put my cap at $25k.

I'm here to soak up your knowledge! I want to learn and tinker and upgrade my Westy (once I get it) and expect to learn a lot from that, but, life has its way of deciding when you will do the things you want to do, and I'm looking to take this van on a road trip probably within the next year or so. Point being: I would like to buy a Westy that is pretty much ready to go when I purchase it, and would only require a few minor improvements, IF that.

I know this is an absurdly long introduction, but I wanted to give you guys the full breadth of what I'm trying to accomplish here, and since it seems like the Westy community is pretty rad, I'm hoping you guys can help me out in deciding what I should do going forward.

Let me know if you guys wouldn't mind checking out some Craigslist / Ebay ads for me to give me your opinion on whether or not the purchase would be worth it, as well as any other questions I may have for you guys!

Stoked to go Westy. Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by chro View Post
    Hello all,

I am 100% new to what I'm finding out is a very passionate group of people that love their westys and old school VW's.

I have fantasized about getting a VW van since I was a kid. When I was 15, I begged my dad for help to get a VW Bus for my 16th birthday that was for sale in my neighborhood. Unfortunately, and unsurprisingly, my dad didn't help me get the car, but my obsession with the type of vehicle has remained. Over time, my taste for the vans has grown from the old 'flower child' buses to the newer camper versions. A few years ago, I decided that the Westfalia was the kind of VW van I wanted.

I'm 27 now, and I'm nearing the end of the lease on my car and am looking to make the big leap into the wonderful world of westys!

I'd be lying to you if I didn't tell you I had an ulterior motive. It's also been my dream to do a massive, 4-6 month long road trip across the US (it was originally 12 months, but life's obligations got in the way), and I really want to do it in a Westfalia.

I've perused your other categories and threads, and I have been looking at these vans on Craigslist, Ebay, GoWesty, and Samba for a long time now to try and get an idea of what the norms and patterns are when it comes to how much the vans should cost, what kind of repairs and improvements they should have, and what I should be looking for as far as a seller goes.

Full disclosure, I don't know ANYTHING about cars. I don't have much interest in them in general, and it's only when it comes to specific cars, and Westfalias are far above and beyond anything else, that I care to know anything about them. I've never been one of those people with a dream car, who drools at the Lamborghinis or BMWs or whatever else; my heart has always been set on a very small list of old cars, with Westfalias at the #1 spot.

Point is, even though I don't know squat about cars, I've read enough descriptions, asked enough questions to Google, and kept my eye on what is normal to think I have SOME idea of what I'm looking at. But, the bottom line is that I am creative by profession, and have had no reason to ever get into the mechanics of how this stuff works, so often times I feel lost when evaluating whether or not to consider getting this Westy over another one. My research has, however, convinced me that what I'm looking for is a 87-91 Westfalia, pop top camper etc, that can survive a trip basically starting from Los Angeles and looping around the entire country to land back in Los Angeles. I've also decided that since I don't know anything about this stuff, that it might be worth it for me to spend a little extra cash for a Westfalia that has been loved and cared for to death by its previous owner, as I won't be having to making some of those incredibly specific repairs and upgrades that at the end of the day, I would only be shooting in the dark or going by the word of an auto-mechanic when deciding what to do. I've put my cap at $25k.

I'm here to soak up your knowledge! I want to learn and tinker and upgrade my Westy (once I get it) and expect to learn a lot from that, but, life has its way of deciding when you will do the things you want to do, and I'm looking to take this van on a road trip probably within the next year or so. Point being: I would like to buy a Westy that is pretty much ready to go when I purchase it, and would only require a few minor improvements, IF that.

I know this is an absurdly long introduction, but I wanted to give you guys the full breadth of what I'm trying to accomplish here, and since it seems like the Westy community is pretty rad, I'm hoping you guys can help me out in deciding what I should do going forward.

Let me know if you guys wouldn't mind checking out some Craigslist / Ebay ads for me to give me your opinion on whether or not the purchase would be worth it, as well as any other questions I may have for you guys!

Stoked to go Westy. Thanks in advance!
    Hey Chro, how did you make out? Hopefully your trip memories are still vivid.
    James Conlin 87