Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Electronic ignition vs. Points

Default Electronic ignition vs. Points

Good morning. I just purchased a 1974 camp mobile and I'm having a difficult time starting it. Turns over great but no spark. Changed cap, rotor and plugs. Before going any further, does anybody have a preference electronic vs. Points? Any advise? TIA

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Difficult to generalize here as the different systems have different good/bad points (no pun intended). The biggest advantage is changing the ignition trigger to a contactless system so that wear is eliminated. Then you can talk about the coil dwell and voltage at the plugs.

IMHO, electronic ignition is more reliable than points. I say that because points, being mechanical, will wear. We are talking contact breaker points themselves, distributer shaft, distributer lobes etc. Yes, the distributer shaft will still be used (and subject to the same wear) when using electronic ignition but the ignition rotor to cap clearance will not make a great difference to the operation of the system.

If you do not have spark then look at your points gap and make sure you have voltage at the points.

let us know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsborn View Post
    Difficult to generalize here as the different systems have different good/bad points (no pun intended). The biggest advantage is changing the ignition trigger to a contactless system so that wear is eliminated. Then you can talk about the coil dwell and voltage at the plugs.

IMHO, electronic ignition is more reliable than points. I say that because points, being mechanical, will wear. We are talking contact breaker points themselves, distributer shaft, distributer lobes etc. Yes, the distributer shaft will still be used (and subject to the same wear) when using electronic ignition but the ignition rotor to cap clearance will not make a great difference to the operation of the system.

If you do not have spark then look at your points gap and make sure you have voltage at the points.

let us know how you get on.
    Thanks for the tip. Today my electronic ignition caught fire. So I replaced it with the points. Still no spark to the distribution. It's probably something stupid I cannot figure out. Hopefully having someone come look at it this week