Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New to Westys

Default New to Westys

We live in Alaska; just bought an 85 in Arizona and we have questions about heater alternatives and an awning that doesn't cost a thousand dollars...
    Suggestions welcomed. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Hey Charlie,
    This is Ben's friend Colin, we met briefly at thanksgiving last year I believe. I just bought an 89' down in California and am actually shipping it up here to AK. Thought it might be nice to connect, as I'm new to these things too. Pretty excited to own one now. Curious about the details of yours? 85' is air cooled? what's your heater problem?
    I found this 89' GL with the full Westy package in really good shape with a little bit of bubble rust on the seams and some mold on the lid of the camper shell. It's got 151k on the original engine. I bought it from the son of the original owner for what I think was a really low price (7k).
    Anyhow, I think I remembered Mike Mumm saying you guys were trying to get it up here, but is it still in AZ now? Let me know if you ever want to chat about these vehicles. Like I say I'm pretty new to them, but hoping to learn a lot along the way. Also, there's a guy here in Homer who knows them really well, Jeff Ludwig, who could be a great resource. Hope you are well Charlie, see you around town.

Colin

Colin, thanks for checking on us. Congrats on your new westy life! We just got back from doing 2500 desert miles, and had a blast... and our trusty steed did wonderfully! Water cooled, few rust spots, 6000 miles on rebuild, complete with ancient "free love" stickers. It's parked in Las Vegas for now, we've offered it up to friends to drive one-way anywhere.... we'll see what happens- tho we want it too stay in the lower 48 for now. looking forward to seeing you in Homer,
    charlie and debi