Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: paint, i need it and I need advice on who should or shouldn't do it!

Default paint, i need it and I need advice on who should or shouldn't do it!

i have a 1990 2WD white westy...i have always wanted to repaint it and every body shop i ask says NO! I live in Oregon and need advice. Time has taken its toll and there are minor rust spots appearing...I want to keep this rig for as long as I breathe so I want to address its need for new exterior protection...and I would love to not have a white vehicle. If anyone has advice on this matter or can point me in the right direction, please email me, PM me, or respond by smoke signal. She just rolled over to 94,000 and I have had her from 55,000....so any other advice besides paint would be appreciated too. I tried to join WetWesties but their sign up page is busted. If there are organizations in the Pacific Northwest better suited to my inquires and such, please clue me in!

Many thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Why did the body shops refuse the work? That doesn't make sense, unless the original paint is in such good shape that removing it would detract from the vehicle's value. A lot of these guys just look at the Blue Book value and figure that the car's not worth repainting. They have no clue as to how much these cars are going for. I'd say that a paint job is money well spent in preserving your investment.

I think you can just spot-treat the rust spots. Remove the rust, paint primer on, and then paint to match the car. Then apply a coat of wax to protect the paint. Of course, if you want a different color, you'd have to remove all the old paint.

As for groups, check out this web site:

http://vwcamperfamily.ning.com/groups?page=1

While it's not specific to the Pacific Northwest, it has groups and members in Washington, Oregon, and northern California. I do hope that the Wet Westies get their page fixed, because they're good peeps and well worth being in contact with.

Another invaluable source for information is the Itinerant Air-Cooled site. While they are more focussed on air-cooled Westies (duh) there's a few regular participants in your area and they can be counted on to steer you to resources. Their website is: http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/
    --JLT
    Sacramento, CA USA

Former buses: '61 17-Window "Pink Bus"
    '70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
    '71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"
    Current bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"

Why are they telling you not to repaint? Do you mean do it yourself? If you are going to DIY it is a big job to take on and to shoot it takes some skill. You could do the prep and have a shop shoot it, usually save a fair amount of money and you get a better job if you take your time in doing the prep.

They are not telling me not to paint...they flat out said we won't take on anything that is not a repair from a collision. There are two places perfectly capable of doing the work, they have repainted 3 vehicles after collisions in my family. They just do not want the work...I found this dumbfounding. I guess they look at it as a project and they only deal with insurance companies now a days...

I will keep searching for someone that is experienced in Westies or just experienced and willing!

Yeah a lot of body shops only want insurance work; more money and faster turn around. Try a custom shop

Default paint i need it and I need advice on who should or shouldnt do it

i have the grey sides on my white 318I and i want to match the color, i dont want to do it half a, soo anyone know any good write ups on a easy fast way to do it and make it look good??