Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installed new GoWesty Exhaust and now I have less power - Any hints?

Default Installed new GoWesty Exhaust and now I have less power - Any hints?

I installed a new GoWesty 2.1L exhaust system on my 85 1.9L with the conversion accessories. It coughed and sputtered on the way home from the shop and had a strong gas smell. I replaced the O2 sensor and it ran much better. It still doesn't have the same amount of power as before the exhaust replacement. It doesn't smell gassy either; it just doesn't have the highway power it had before. Any hints on what I could troubleshoot for next? Thanks!!!!

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

I doubt the exhaust system, itself, has anything to do with the problem. What's more likely is part of the fuel system took a hit during the installation (pinched hose???). Or it could just be one of those annoying coincidences. NTL, check your work, make sure the catalytic converter isn't clogged, and then start checking the fuel side of the engine.

I'm assuming you chose the GW exhaust because that's what you could find. I have a 2.1 engine and can't recall anything special about the exhaust system when I bought it.

Do a compression check, its most likely something else.
    When my 84 popped a head seal it went UGHHH