Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: First trip!

Default First trip!

Hi,

I want to book a ferry crossing for my husbands Xmas pressie for next March. He would like to go to South of France, and I would like Holland and anywhere North of that!
    I have been looking at maps and think South France will be too far as we only will have a week. We live near Poole. Dorset.
    I think the best bet from my research will be to either go from Newhaven to Dieppe, or from Dover to Dunkirk/Calais, and then go around Belgium. I have seen that Belgium have a three day carnival at the start of March which looks good.
    What do you all think, would appreciate any advice!
    Lastly, can anyone tell me what height/sizes I put when entering my Westy on please as I can't ask my husband!

Many thanks, Sam

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Being in the US, I can't help with the routing, but...

The Westy needs about 7 feet or 2.2 meters of vertical clearance and is about 15 feet or 4.5 meters long. Any Channel ferry will have no problem with this. You should think about bringing some tie-down straps (the kind with ratcheting levers in them), even though the ferry crew will have something to tie you down. Spares can't hurt and might help.

Check the ferry rules for petrol and propane. While I doubt they worry too much about petrol in a vehicle, they may have rules about how much propane you can carry. The Westy tank holds about 3 US gallons (12 liters) or about 14 pounds (7 kilos).

At one time, UK fittings for filling propane tanks and those in Belgium, etc. weren't always the same. Ask friends with campers with cookers what they do about this. If you fill up the tank, it should easily do for a week with the fridge running full time and moderate cooking.

Finally, remember Lent starts on Wed. 5 March. The three days before with be carnival, fasching, mardi gras, or party on!

HTH - have a good trip!

Hi,

Thanks for your advice. Yes I think I will go to that carnival in Binche - why did you mention lent? Will that affect my stay? (sorry if that is a stupid question!)

It's not that Lent is a problem, it's that the three days before Lent tends to be a time for major festivals. Like Fasching, Mardi Gras, Carnivale, etc. As we often say in the States, party on! [/grin]