Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New Old Guy!

Default New Old Guy!

Hello Westfalia members!
    I'm brand new to this site and have many questions regarding my recent, 1985 Vanagon, acquisition. I've never owned any type of V.W. before but I very much enjoy driving this van, with close to 300,000 miles, and hope to put many more thousands of miles on it! I'm thankful that this site exists and wish all of you the very best!

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Should my intro title have been Old New Guy?

Has anyone had a heater fan switch that likes to come on and go off, whenever it sees fit to do so?

Welcome to the fun!

As to the switch, it could be the switch is failing (or at least could use a serious shot of contact cleaner) but it could also be a wiring issue. Have fun climbing around under the dash to sort this out. BTW, if you don't have one yet, invest in a copy of "Bentley" - the re-print of the van shop manual published by Robert Bentley. See your fave VW parts place or Amazon for a copy. Anyway, there's info on how to get to the fan switch (and a lot more!).

Thanks R.B! I don't own a Bentley, but I'll be sure to buy 1 as soon as I sell my Rolls Canardly. Rolls down hills but canardly get up them!
    Anyway, I'll get the book since it seems to be the "Golden Book" for V.W. Vans!
    Thanks again!
    Mike
    P.S, welcome to the fun? Is that what they're calling it now?

Quote Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
    Welcome to the fun!

As to the switch, it could be the switch is failing (or at least could use a serious shot of contact cleaner) but it could also be a wiring issue. Have fun climbing around under the dash to sort this out. BTW, if you don't have one yet, invest in a copy of "Bentley" - the re-print of the van shop manual published by Robert Bentley. See your fave VW parts place or Amazon for a copy. Anyway, there's info on how to get to the fan switch (and a lot more!).

"Welcome to the fun" is borrowed from a forum I used to read a lot (Concours Owners Group - for Kawasaki Concours m/c) but it sure applies elsewhere.

Since you have a "water boxer" (boxer applyinng to horizontally opposed engines incl. BMW m/c), Bentley is The Source (air cooled folk may want to look at Muir's "Compleat Idiot" book).

Canardly... I'm sure RR owners would call that a base canard. [/ducking and running]