Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Is this a practical plan?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

0 0%
  • no

0 0%
  • with work yes

0 0%
  • totally do able, but not worth it

0 0%

Thread: 1982 Westfalia, going to try to turn it into a hunting camper

Post 1982 Westfalia, going to try to turn it into a hunting camper

I just acquired a 82 westfalia. I'd been looking for a river rat to rebuild so that i could eventually build my own hunting camper. My dad, an avid auction customer, offered me an this westfalia yesterday for $250. I think it might be possible to make it a decent little vehicle. I was curious to see what the community might be able to offer me as far as what do i need to know. From what i've read online, i guess this is one of the worst versions of the T3. What engines are compatible and relatively easy to change with this flat four. has anybody tried transmission? ultimately i would like it to be a simple hunting camper but if it fails at that i wouldn't mind it being changed into a family weekender.

I'm somewhat excited about this any guidance and lessons learned i can gain would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Jim

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Hi Jim..I have an 82 Westy and find it a very reliable vehicle. Its stock with no bells and whistles except that over the years I have owned it I have replaced every single item in it. All the rubber-entire new fuel injection system-exhaust-tires-motor-transmission, etc. I was lucky enough to have had two prior owners who took exceptional care of it and my decision to have everything replaced was based on the fact that I would be retiring soon and wanted to camp and fish and basically enjoy the USA.
    There are a few options for engine conversions available for the air cooled models but your talking big money.
    You might take a serious look at the condition your 82 is in. No use tossing a $500.00 saddle on a horse bound for the glue factory.

I'm not a hunter ( I'm a bench rest rifle shooter ) but if your going to do some snowy back woods 4 wheel drive kind of hunting perhaps the 82 is not the best of vehicles for you. If your going to sit on a hill and pick off prairie dogs,the 82 is fine.

What condition is yours in right now and are you ready to sink $10.000.00 into it ? Either way; its good to hear of another air cooled on the road. Safe travels 2U.