Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: USA & Canada Circle Trip - Early 2014

Cool USA & Canada Circle Trip - Early 2014

Am planning a circle trip of USA & Canada beginning in March 2014 (+-3 months)

Would originate in Toronto then on to Buffalo and eventually south to Miami via I95 (+-1 week).

From there would go up west coast of Florida to Louisiana using I10 to Phoenix the I8 to San Diego (+- 2 weeks)

Up California coast using coastal Hwy 1 to Oregon then 101 and I5 to Seattle. Ferry to Victoria, BC. (+- 2 weeks)

Through the Canadian Rockies via the TransCanada Highway. From Calgary, south to Montana then I90 - I94 to Minneapolis and Chicago (+- 3 weeks) I94, I80 to Cleveland then I 90 to Buffalo then home.

Would appreciate suggestions, recommendations on highlights along the way (not necessarily touristy stuff), good camping grounds (have KOA membership), things to avoid, recommended VW Van repair shops as well as VW Camper Clubs along the way.

Am driving 1984 Westy Campervan in excellent mechanical condition BUT standard, no A/C and power steering.

Anyone wanting to join or tag along, even part way would be welcomed.

Plan is to leave Canada early March of 2014 until late May.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

In case you didn't know about these....here they are. Check out www.roadhaus.com. This is a cool website for travelers like yourself. It lists shops and VW folk willing to help in case you need it. The other site is ,the Vanagon Rescue Squad. It sounds as if you have a thought out plan so its probably not necessary to mention to you to make sure your 84 is up to speed for the journey. If you carry spare oil and oil filters you will save some $$$ when its time for a change. Id stay away from the "quickie type oil change places" and either do it yourself or have a shop do it. Most auto parts stores have a used oil drop off service for do it yourselfers.

Have you changed out your fuel lines yet...the refineries dump a lot of crap into the fuel ( lots of alcohol ) formulations and if your fuel lines don't have the proper rating it could cause problems.

How about a Roadside Assistance Membership, something like AAA or one through your Insurance Company. Have you calculated your fuel costs for your venture??
    On a side note...using a cheepo gas aint a good idea when traveling through California, personally I would only use Shell or Union 76 or Chevron.

The tea leaves indicate a safe and memorable trip await you. :-}

Thanks for the tips wanderer.

Websites are appreciated. Oil/filters are changed at every 5000/5500 miles so no problems there. Fuel lines change was a good suggestions for "dirty" gas.
    Seldom use discount gas stations.
    Have AAA membership.

thanks for the tea leaves reading.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jlu2903 View Post
    Thanks for the tips wanderer.

Websites are appreciated. Oil/filters are changed at every 5000/5500 miles so no problems there. Fuel lines change was a good suggestions for "dirty" gas.
    Seldom use discount gas stations.
    Have AAA membership.

thanks for the tea leaves reading.

John
    How did the trip go? Thinking about doing the same next year