Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Battery Care when in storage

Default Battery Care when in storage

My daughter just purchased a 1994 Eurovan WE which she immediately had to put into long term storage.
    There was not enough time to researcch in the Camper Manual on what storage preparation is needed for the Cabin Battery.
    We did put a trickle charger on the main battery but we cannot find any reference to a chaerger on the cabin battery.
    Do we need to put a second charger on the cabin battery or will the charger on the mail battery also take care of the auxilary batter?

We did do the engine storage stuff- stabil in the gasoliine and a full engine service etc before tucking her into the garage for a year.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Let's put it this way, I attached one trickle charger for each battery. I put them on a timer so the trickle chargers ran only about 6 hours per day. That worked when we stored our Westy for seven months. HTH.

Thanks. Where exactly is the battery? Is there room for a charger in the compartment or did you just leave it on the floor of the van?

The main battery is under and behind the driver's seat. There's an access door for it that opens fairly easily, and the auxiliary battery is behind under the passenger's seat, with the door slightly more involved to access. For that reason, if you don't have an AGM battery in it, think about that over a "wet" lead acid battery, even if it's a no maintenance battery. Also, check that all of that hot (+) wiring is well away from the chassis or at least very well protected from making contact. Electrical fires are no fun.

For charging purposes only, you can snake the charger leads under the battery compartment doors. But do remove them when getting back on the road.