Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: new to this forum

Red face new to this forum

Hello,
    I'm located in Maine and new to this site, I'm soon to become an owner of a 1990 Westie and I'm very excited! I don't know much about this vehicle, except that I've always thought it would be great to own a Vanagon and do some traveling with it. I'm ready for a big adventure in the world of Westies!

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Well congratulations on your Westy and for finding this Forum. Let me encourage you to do a few things prior to your Maiden Voyage. Depending on how well the previous owner maintained the vehicle, I for SURE would suggest you change out the oil and the brake fluid. Make sure to change the fuel lines too. The refineries are adding a bunch of goodies to their formulations. Most are for the betterment but alcohol will degrade the older rubber fuel lines. Get yourself a fuel line that has this written on it...SAE J30R9. Goodyear or Gates makes it and maybe even Choline does also. This fuel line has a plastic insert inside the fuel line and its impervious to alcohol.

If you don't already have a Bentley Manual its a good idea to have one on hand. Its the same manual the Factory uses. Something else to ponder is the age of your Westy....if your not much of a mechanic ( pointing to myself right now ) Id find a Vanagon savvy mechanic and have em give a good going over to make sure everything is up to Factory specifications.

Stay safe and happy motoring.

Thank you the good advice, I won't be getting it until September, but in the meantime, I've found a good VW mechanic and will look into your suggestions. This looks like a really good forum with lots of folks that have a tremendous amount of experience.