Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1984 westfalia

Default 1984 westfalia

After 10 years of sitting and 2 years of contemplating I finally got the guts to ask my dad to sell me his 1984 vw westfalia van. I'm extremely excited to say he said yes I could have it!! Now it's a new journey of finding information to make this garage stored van in moving, running, and working condition. I'm looking forward to making memories with this gem in the rough vw. Any information would be helpful.

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Congratulations...good to keep it in the family. First off Id get a factory manual. Its called "The Bentley". Most important is to change all the fluids and filters. The fuel lines are a must to also change. All the crap the refineries add to the gas, will degrade the fuel lines from the inside out. Look for a fuel line that has SAE-J30R9 printed on it. Goodyear or Gates makes one. Don't forget to drain out the old gas, you DONT want that running through the fuel system. Get some new tires !!!! Don't just get a passenger tire, get one that's rated for our vehicle....check out Bus Depot for the Hankooks. This tire has a beefy sidewall that safely supports the weight of the Westy.

Don't forget to change the break fluid as well. Most likely a vehicle that's sat for 10+ years is going to need a complete going over. Don't be tempted to take the family on a trip until you've performed the needed safety checks. Make sure all the lights work..headlights, brake lamps, blinkers etc.....

Don't misunderstand me...I really like this site and find it quite useful but do check out other websites that deal with our unique vehicles. Try The Samba site, lots of traffic over there too. Itinerant is another one you might check out.

Online vendors that carry specific parts and pieces for the Westy include ...Bus Depot; Go-Westy; Van Café; AutohausAZ;. On a side note; make "friends" with a Vanagon savvy mechanic in your area. Not all mechanics want to or are experienced enough to work on a Vanagon; heck its damn near 30 years old.
    When you do purchase a part...don't go cheeeep. The reason a Vanagon specific oil filter or fuel filter costs a bit more is because its designed for the Vanagons.

P.S. I like to run a full synthetic motor oil in my 1982 air-cooled model. Even though yours is H2O, Id still consider the synthetic.

I don't know where your located but you mentioned its been garaged. Check it out for mice or left over mice or any critters that might have taken up residency while it was stored. Those buggers like to munch on everything , including electrical insulation, so check out your engine compartment and under carriage real carefully.

The tea leaves indicate many a safe and happy travels await you. Congratulations once again....now "get er done."

Red face

Thank you so much for this valuable information! I'm in Hawaii and will be taking it to a European auto place who has experience with vw. I plan on swapping out the engine and making it a new car inside and out. My vw will be a home away from home. I've been looking up a lot of the engines swaps to put in this handsome guy but have not made up my mind. I like the gowesty site and that engine at almost 7k but my dad keeps telling me Subaru. I want something reliable not so much for the power just to get me from place a to b. I have a family of 3 going on 4 if I really wanted speed I would get a hot rod.

I also was curious about ac. My dad said it had one but it really didn't work. Is there any in this current market that will help with that?

Friday aug 9 is the day for the move from garage to repair shop I hope it goes smoothly. I plan on cleaning the now storage unit and crossing my fingers there are no dead or alive critters in there.

Wish me luck!

You might need the air conditioning living in Hawaii. Have your mechanic give it a good look over as they worked quite a bit better in the water cooled models than they did in an air cooled. My 82 came with the dealer add on air conditioning unit but considering that mechanically it didn't work and the fact that my motor has barely enough get up and go to get me down the road safely; I just gutted it. There is a piece of engine tin that covers up the big gap once the unit is removed and I installed it in place.

I see you found Go Westy...did you go into shock once you saw some of their pricing. I'm not very familiar with all the engine options available for your model but over at The Samba folks are always talking about engine swaps and what works good and what's not so good.
    Its possible your current engine is fine and maybe needs a few parts and pieces to get it back to factory specks.

I'm fortunate to have a mechanic who lets me supply my own parts so when I need something that I don't have on hand, I usually check out Bus Depot or Van Café to get the best price on something.

Safe travels 2U and yours !!!