Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fuel Pump question

Default Fuel Pump question

We have a 1977 Westfalia Camper. It needs a fuel pump. I think the motor is a 2.0 and requires a higher pressure than other VW's. Can anyone enlighten me on this?
    This camper belonged to my dad and has been in his shed for years. We are trying to get it going.
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

If the fuel pump you have now did work but then crapped itself out because it was old and tired, just get the part number off of it and go to Bus Depot or Go-Westy or anyone of your favorite parts vendor and order up a new one.
    Personally !!!! I would stick with a Bosch unit even though there are aftermarket ones available for less $$$.

Hey guys,

I have a 1975 Westy with a 2.0 engine and a progressive carb setup. I ordered an electric pump from Busdepot (part #412010) and installed it. The westy will not start if the pump is mounted underneath next to the fuel tank. It will however start and run very well, if I move it closer to the carb and leaving in sitting in the engine bay. Can someone show me pictures or tell me a good mounting location for the pump? Can i install it somewhere in the engine bay? Or should I get a higher pressure pump?

Thanks in advance!

I would go back to Bus Depots website and look for the parts for the 1975 Bus. They list part number GFP301 as being the Bosch Fuel Pump. I'm not 100% sure about your carb set up though...someone might have changed it over. I'm 100% sure that the Bosch pumps operate as VW intended them to and that the aftermarket ones made in China have a poor track record.