Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: NEWBIE>>>I made a mistake. Cleanser and scrub brush too POP TOP.

Default NEWBIE>>>I made a mistake. Cleanser and scrub brush too POP TOP.

I made a mistake. Cleanser and scrub brush to POP TOP..... Pop top is nice and clean and is nice and soft to touch because the gel coat is off and now it is fuzzy. The bolts and stuff are still rusty ......Just wondering is my top too far gone to wax it or get it back to non fuzzy condition. I know some people use fiber glass waxes and have had great results. Or is it too far gone and should I just paint it with a fiberglass paint since the hardware is rusty as well. Thanks for the help in advance. btw it is a 1982 diesel westfalia. I would rather not have to paint. I do have a buffer so i dont know if a rubbing compound might work?

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Good to hear of another air cooled on the road. I have an 82 gas Westy. I think you might have gone a bit overboard with the cleanser BUT there is a chance you could revive it without a repaint.
    Look for a product called PENETROL. You can find it at Lowes or Home Depot or for sure at a place called West Marine.
    Not to sway you from this website but if you venture over to www.thesamba.com and enter PENETROL into their search engine you will see multiple discussions on just how wonderful this product is on restoring the pop tops.
    Good luck to you.
    The tea leaves indicate many a safe and happy travels await you and yours.

http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/Co...?sort=3&page=1

That is the link to some photos... Those r the worst parts the rest is just fuzzy and soft to touch because gel coat is gone. Thanks for the input on penetrol. Looks good just what do u think when u see the pics is it too far gone or would u like different pictures. Went to samba and checked it out. Sounded like if the fibers r showing then I should paint it because u can't restore gel coat if its not there. But still hoping for miracle cure so I don't have to paint... Although probably almost just as much work. Thanks again for your input. If u can't see pictures please let me know, thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Covey9626....Looks like its bit the dust and its time for a repaint. You have a bit of work ahead of you so proceed with caution.

Alright so did research ... Many people claimed rustoleum worked great no primer. One guy did same thing with cleanser to the top like I did and used the rustoleum. Here is first coat any suggestions on what to do .... Sand? What grit? Or just keep coating till it get smoother.

Hey Covey,

I'm a newbie in the Westy world too and was wondering what made you start this project. I have a little leak on my pop-top (1981 AC) where the little indents are that later became the sunroof for newer models. I was thinking of just putting some epoxy in the indents to seal it up when I came across this thread. Were you able to completely refurbish your pop-top? Where did you start? Do you have some good links/instructions/other forums you could link me to to help with revitalizing (and most importantly, resealing) my roof?

Happy trails,
    Jay