Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Hello from Tacoma, WA.

Default Hello from Tacoma, WA.

A few days ago my girlfriend suddenly became very excited and took off with her son in law after supper. They returned with a butterscotch '83 Westfalia camper.

I've no idea what I'm getting into so I came here to find out.

I'll be lurking and reading.

John

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Hi John.. is it an air cooled model or water cooled. That was a transition year for VW. Prior to going out on a first camping trip give it a good check up. Find a GOOD Vanagon savvy mechanic, that's real important. Most mechanics weren't even born yet when your Vanagon was produced so having someone who knows the ins and outs of these quirky vehicles is recommended.
    Welcome....the tea leaves indicate many a happy ventures await you.

Thanks Wanderer. Jennie has a prefered mechanic for all things VW related so that's where we start. I had gleaned '83 was the cusp year but hadn't gotten into how to tell. Honestly I've only looked inside and poked a finger into the moss growing on the front bumper. We're supposed to have four whole sunny days in a row starting tomorrow. I thought I'd poke about carefully just to see what's there and what's holding it together.
    1983 Westfalia Camper
    No idea what I'm doing

And may the Good Lord look kindly upon your possible purchase of a mossy 83 ( by the way that would be a cool name for the 83). May the good Lord also bless you with a substantial bank account...these can be a diamond in the rough or a complete money pit or a complete disaster OR a great find.

Its often said that the Westy will pick YOU as a potential owner and not the other way around. Chime back in when you've checked it out. Ill keep my fingers and toes crossed that its a great find for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
    And may the Good Lord look kindly upon your possible purchase of a mossy 83 ( by the way that would be a cool name for the 83)
    The van has already been christened "The Gronckle" for it's heavy lift capacity and in honor of certain young die hard Dragon fans in the family. Also when it enevitably breaks down we'll be able to say "We lost power in The Gronckle!"
    1983 Westfalia Camper
    No idea what I'm doing