Westfalia.org Community - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New to westfalia. need help deciding what to do for roadtrip?

Default New to westfalia. need help deciding what to do for roadtrip?

I am a junior in high school and me and two of my friends are planning on making a road trip from texas to colorado next year and we are staying in colorado for a bit over a week. Ive been thinking of buying a Vw bus. Then i came across Westfalia. These little camper vans are amazing. I am on a bit of a budget due to me being in high school. Should i find a Westfalia that is already built? or should I find a bus and convert it by myself? What would be a good price to buy a project westfalia for? like i said i have a little under a year to prepare. how much would it cost to buy a kit and make it 100% westfalia road trip worthy? any information would help me enourmously. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Adsense Circuit advertisement

Greetings... How much money do/will you have to put into this venture. Give a bit more information about your "wrenching skills". Have you or your traveling mates any experience with a Westy. Have you totaled your round trip miles yet. ( gas is expensive ) Do you have AAA tow service and current insurance....

Don't get me wrong but the word "budget" and Westy really don't go hand in hand. Remember; they have been out of production since 1999. Air cooled Westys are going on 30 years of age and have been out of production since 1983. Owning a Westy can be equated to owning a boat. Sometimes they are a hole in the ground you toss money into and sometimes they are your best friend.

Im on a budget like i said so 2500 for vehicle and parts would probably be my tops. Me and my friends are experienced with mechanic work. We were practically raised in a garage due to both of our fathers being mechanics. We are very hand... So im looking for one with slight interior damage, Engine problems, fair condition exterior.... I know how to paint. Part of our total Budget is going towards gas. Besides the college said they will pay for the gas to come visit the campus and take a tour. The total round trip is 1800 miles. I can and will have AAA and insurance. I know what you mean though ive had plenty of money pits that ive worked on over the years... like i said though i have practically a year to prepare... but the way i see it is that i need to start NOW.

$2500 is not nearly enough of a budget for a westy. You'll be luck just to find a can with bench seats for that price from my experience. Then again, if you want one that's not running you may find a van in that range but you have to factor parts expense and then adding a camper interior. From my opinion and experience to get one fix it up and convert it or get an existing camper would be impossibly for that price range.

When I got mine, it appeared to be in good running order. I've since done probably 6k-7k worth of work to it of things I found out later and getting it road trip worthy. Granted I haven't done the work myself but it is pricey. And breaking down somewhere is even more because you likely will not have all the tools you need to repair it roadside. And you will have to locate parts for it on the road which adds another difficulty factor.

You can find a non westy camper van for that range probably though. Maybe a Chevy, dodge or ford or something like that.